8 Posts
4 Users
11 Reactions
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

Added two more of what is probably my GOAT stick for how I fish a few favorite bodies of water and/or types of structure, which have produced most of my best quality specimens over the years. The X7 Extreme Mission is “The One” when it comes to specific types of bottom contact.

This pair was offered up by a fellow enthusiast selling off much of his collection, and there was no way I’d be letting these pass me by. One is brand new and the other is in excellent condition. I sold one a while back and deeply regretted it shortly after, so these bring the count back up to 1/2 dozen in the stable. I don’t think the greatness this rod represents to me and other people I know, that have been fishing it since its introduction will ever be duplicated, at least not by Megabass. 

9AAEF2EE 9856 4B02 8E07 7DB5B35E436F

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquaftm
(@aquaftm)
Limit Filler Customer

Awesome pickups, what a great find.  I bought a X7 Western Flip off of YJP a few years back for $135, think it cost $200 to my door. It was in good condition, but not great (locknut paint chipping) and otherwise I loved that rod. I devoloped this compulsive disorder where everything I owned had to be pristine and made in Japan...hahha. I sold off my 6 MB rods including the WF. I regret the sale of that WF to this day, but at least I turned a small profit on it. I'm not sure the X7 is revered in JP (based on resell price) as much as the US, if it was maybe ITO would do a X7 redux.  

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks @aquaftm…very grateful to have a couple more. I’m thinking I’m good for the rest of my days on these…as long as I don’t see any more pop up for sale…😆

You gotta love that feeling when certain pieces of gear really line up with you and how you prefer to fish. This rod does it for me, and was ironically, the series/blank that IMO, was MB’s high watermark. Things have gone down hill since 2014, but that’s just my opinion. 

Yes, they were readily available for dirt cheap a while back, and I remember the days of slant bridges for 80.00 in mint condition….ah, take me back to those times…

That said, I’ve noticed a slight increase in market value this past year+. Seems like many MB fans are starting to realize newer isn’t always better.

Western Flip is a great rod. I nicknamed it “The Super Eiger Extreme”. The original 2013/2014 X7 series/models were well thought out, weren’t they? 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
pkn8
 pkn8
(@pkn8)
Limit Filler Customer

And here I am just happy with my 1 X7 EM. 😆 But as they say the best one is the next one.

Posted by: @rise

Western Flip is a great rod. I nicknamed it “The Super Eiger Extreme”.

Elaborate for me. Have yet to use my WF but have tossed around my SE a few times.

Always learning...

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @pkn8

And here I am just happy with my 1 X7 EM. 😆 But as they say the best one is the next one.

Posted by: @rise

Western Flip is a great rod. I nicknamed it “The Super Eiger Extreme”.

Elaborate for me. Have yet to use my WF but have tossed around my SE a few times.

1 is usually enough, until you realize that there won’t be another one like it, so you hoard as many as possible, especially when it becomes that rod/reel/bait you find yourself reaching for repeatedly. 

Western Flip, fishes like a longer version of the SE in my hands, with a great tip section. It’s also very much like fishing a spinning rod in baitcaster form. I like making long casts with drop shots on the other end. Keitech SI 2.8s and other baitfish profiled DS baits are fun on it. I’ll slowly “swim” the drop shot back to the boat with pauses a dead sticking mixed in along the way. Rated an F4 but always wished the backbone had a tiny bit more “oomph” to it, wishing it be a baby brother to the X7 EM, but don’t get me wrong….I’m not complaining. Great stick. I also know of people that like throwing moving baits with it as well. You need to fish more, brother (don’t we all)…get out there…try all these beautiful rods you’ve got with different things. 🫵🏻👊🏼

pkn8 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer

I have that EM rod and its been a treasure in my little stable.. There are times when it still surprises me with such a variety of things it does. 

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer

@rise 

i am not impressed by the latest offerings of MB rods and i brought a lot. I have purchased alot of MB rods in my day and the X7 line has NEVER failed me. It really helped me form a honest opinion of them. The current P5 offerings i never used and I just feel like I can go full JDM and "feel" like i am getting more for my money. I have two rods that aren't X7 and thats the Power Versatile ( i won a turney on that rod 6lb bass ) and the gambler , oh and the super destruction the first one. so that makes three.. i was not impressed with the current super destruction and although the 110 rod gets great comments i had one and sold it and got a EG cougar which is not even comparable to the 110 rod.. 

i have learned the hard and expensive way and my preference is Evergreen or X7 or custom 

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@goldrod very well said, and I couldn’t agree more. The X7 was the peak for MB, followed by many of their prior offerings. 2015/16 was the beginning of the slow downward slope for the company as the biz model changed greatly with the US marketing put into motion. Hasn’t been the same since and I’ve sold every rod made post 2014 aside from one ARMS variant, which utilized the X7 blank.

ReplyQuote
Share: