30 Posts
4 Users
57 Reactions
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  
I got my first hard swimbait in. Neat little color gan craft 178f
And one of the reasons I said I wanted to try this was hearing about guys fishing docks with glide baits and pulling the brutes of the dock off.

I think this is a better way to fish docks and wanted to know your thoughts and get some assistance in fishing this particular bait.

Anything you can offer is greatly appreciated especially how to select the action of the rod for this lure

dragon1 and Gswimbait reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

Thanks for the video.. for those looking there is a guy pitching the 178ss to docks and just catching brutes 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @goldrod

Thanks for the video.. for those looking there is a guy pitching the 178ss to docks and just catching brutes 

Link to video? 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

pretty good in my humble opinion 

RISE, dragon1 and chrisg_sdcf reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

@rise 

i could used less of the commendation 

ReplyQuote
Gswimbait
(@gswimbait)
Limit Filler

@goldrod  When fishing a glide in a cover setting, you need to understand that bait placement and angle is EVERYTHING.  Having your bait 6" off the best angle is enough to not get bit, especially in pressured shallow water. Don't be scared into throwing it around nasty stuff. Skip that bait under the dock, and don't be scared to break it. 

What helped me was grading every swimbait cast From A to F.  Stopping and looking at the cover and really diagnosing the conditions around it.  A lot of guys with a Jig while in Tourney mode tend to just flip and keep moving without really looking at what the keys spots are. With a Swimbait its even more important for a few reasons.

First determine if the dock is "fishy" and try and find which part of the dock the fish are associated with, this will help you eliminate bad cover and save time.

The second is to judge which angle covers the maximum amount of key area you need to present the bait. Finish every cast, and learn what you have to do to trigger a long follower into biting. 

The only other piece of advice I could give you is to mix in a big bait that has a dead walking action.  Fish it ideally just how you'd fish a jig. This has helped me produce those fish on days they just aren't into following anything or unwilling to pull off a dock to chase.   

Where I fish, is one of the highest fishing pressured areas in the country. Swimbaits are gaining a lot of steam here from the "Chuck and wind" crowd. So you have to be methodical about how you do things to set yourself apart from the others.  

"The things you own, end up owning you." -

Like Fisher, RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

@gswimbait 

makes much sense thanks!

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Gswimbait
(@gswimbait)
Limit Filler

@goldrod  Post Results! show us how your figure it out! Looking forward to seeing some catches 😎 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

@gswimbait Most definitely 

I have changed out the hooks to the owners stx and tied the lure to my Megabass power versatile and IP68 combo ( only got the reel to match the rod in my opinion they were made for each other) 

I will definitely post pictures when I get bit 

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @gswimbait

@goldrod  When fishing a glide in a cover setting, you need to understand that bait placement and angle is EVERYTHING.  Having your bait 6" off the best angle is enough to not get bit, especially in pressured shallow water. Don't be scared into throwing it around nasty stuff. Skip that bait under the dock, and don't be scared to break it. 

What helped me was grading every swimbait cast From A to F.  Stopping and looking at the cover and really diagnosing the conditions around it.  A lot of guys with a Jig while in Tourney mode tend to just flip and keep moving without really looking at what the keys spots are. With a Swimbait its even more important for a few reasons.

First determine if the dock is "fishy" and try and find which part of the dock the fish are associated with, this will help you eliminate bad cover and save time.

The second is to judge which angle covers the maximum amount of key area you need to present the bait. Finish every cast, and learn what you have to do to trigger a long follower into biting. 

The only other piece of advice I could give you is to mix in a big bait that has a dead walking action.  Fish it ideally just how you'd fish a jig. This has helped me produce those fish on days they just aren't into following anything or unwilling to pull off a dock to chase.   

Where I fish, is one of the highest fishing pressured areas in the country. Swimbaits are gaining a lot of steam here from the "Chuck and wind" crowd. So you have to be methodical about how you do things to set yourself apart from the others.  

Now that’s some outstanding advice. Well said, brother…well said. 💪🏻🤘🏼

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @goldrod

pretty good in my humble opinion 

That’s some solid footage, brother…felt the heartbreak and thrill of victory, like I was there with ya. Great job. Love it. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Gswimbait
(@gswimbait)
Limit Filler

@goldrod   I prefer a faster ratio than a 6.8:1, As soon as the fish bites I want as much line pickup as possible to stick those hooks in the fish. I do use Doubles instead of treble hooks, until they demonstrate a timid behavior where they swipe at the bait but miraculously not get hooked. Then I pick up a bait with trebles. The new Ryugi Rotating Quads work well too, providing they don't neuter the action of the glide. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  
7EC22569 0DD6 47D2 860C 55B8862DA567
8949D4FA 7698 40D2 B4A6 92BA655A85ED
0127AB85 172A 401C BED7 A85417B6AF67

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote