6 Posts
3 Users
5 Reactions
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

I’m always curious about where others’ priorities lie when it comes to buying tackle (not talking techniques here). For me, it is in rods, reels, tinkering and tuning. I love modding reels (and baits)…always have. I do collect some lures, but when it comes to the ones I fish, I tend to keep it a bit more simple than other people I know. I don’t cycle through all the “latest and greatest” as often and when I find something that works…I tend to stick with it, or at the most, try something VERY close to that go-to in both profile and color(s). 

Would love to hear where others focus their energy. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Blksheepfishing
(@blksheepfishing)
Limit Filler Customer

I fish a lot of bass tournaments… my priorities fall on performance and confidence in what I use to maximize my results during these tournaments. I spend a ton of time tuning my reels to enhance the performance for the applications that I use…for example crankbait fishing… squarebill, mid depth, and deep cranking. Daiwa makes great stuff out of the box but I tweak them just to make them better with different knobs, spools, bearings and of course colored parts…

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

Priority, huh? Hmm… well, after contemplating for a moment, I’d have to say line. I know, I get it, lame, but that is the one requisite priority mandatory to catch. If I even think there might be any compromise, I swap it out. Insofar as reels, rods, I have what I want. I much prefer staying in my comfort zone with these tools. Try stuff, sure, take chances buying, yes, but even if wrong I know I’m already covered. Baits, well, you never know until you wing it and I’m fairly quick to try something new. If it interests me, of course, but just another item of this or that with a different name means nothing to me. But if I learn or stumble on something that works then it stays. But line, line is where I refuse to deviate. If a rod breaks it can be repaired, same for reels, baits can be tuned or replaced. But if my line isn’t up to snuff, I’m DOA. I won’t let that happen.

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Blksheepfishing
(@blksheepfishing)
Limit Filler Customer

When selecting rods….my biggest priority is how the grip feels in my hands… it can’t be too big, can’t have a goofy or uncomfortable feeling. I prefer cork over foam…yes I am crazy. But I can’t fish all day with a rod that doesn’t feel right in my hands. Most of the new JDM reels are pretty good these days. Daiwa and Megabass have lovely contoured grips that have small diameters. Happy hands…happy fisherman…

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@blksheepfishing revisited this thread and I have to agree completely with you on this. Balance, ergonomics, taper and components are right there at the top as well, but first thing I’ll notice is the grip/balance point.

ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@one-love very interesting answer, brother. I dig it.

ReplyQuote
Share: