OG Scorprion Antares

6 Posts
4 Users
8 Reactions
Polkfish1
(@polkfish1)
Limit Filler Customer
Topic starter  

I found an OG Robocop Antares brand new. I actually did not like the looks of this reel when it came out. But, it's grown on me so much. To me, the design is an amalgamation of so many themes that I experienced depicting the supposed 'future' when growing up the late 70s and 80s. It kind of makes me think of the Centurian Robots in Battlestar Galactica (I actually had to look this up, because I forgot the show's name). It also kind of reminds to of what guns looked like in Star Trek and then of course the robocop. Anyway, it is such a cool reel. The OG SVS braking system and it is just as smooth as butter, yet still feels mechanical. It's interesting how Daiwa and Shimano went on diverging design paths during this period, yet still somehow ended up doing certain elements the same. For example, the star drag and handle on this reel are so similar to the TDZ, yet otherwise the two reels are as different as can be. Anyway, as an enthusiast, I was so happy to find this reel new in box 20 or so years late. 

IMG 2580
IMG 2597
IMG 2600

RISE, dragon1 and Good Times reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

Wow. THAT is the one reel that almost tempted me to dive Shimano. I’ve always thought it was cool but knew I’d grab it under the Sun one day. I didn’t fear pain, and despite rumors actually CAN learn, but there were just so many other options I wanted that something had to give. Awesome find.

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch

Schuuuweeet find!  Is that the MG spool as well?

ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Image 10 5 22 at 1.01 AM (1)
Image 10 5 22 at 1.01 AM

A seriously rare find in that condition. Congrats!

A high watermark in Shimano’s designs over the years. So unique. 

The ZPI Mag assembly/RC501 MJR added to that reel take it up a couple notches as well. I’ve fished mine a handful of times with the mod and it’s a beast.  

dragon1 and Kickerfish1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Polkfish1
(@polkfish1)
Limit Filler Customer
Topic starter  

@dragon1 yes! The Mg spool with the original sticker still wrapped around it.

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch

Posted by: @polkfish1

@dragon1 yes! The Mg spool with the original sticker still wrapped around it.

Awesome...I had two Calais 101A reels last year and although they had lots of use and miles on them, they both still performed amazingly well.  Both of these reels are now with one of my local fishing buds as he is a LH cranker only.

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: