The Individual Development Paradox Series Rods

10 Posts
6 Users
10 Reactions
Polkfish1
(@polkfish1)
Limit Filler Customer
Topic starter  

I’m a huge fan of the Parodox series of rods from Individual Development. The rods are exceptionally well-built tools with unique action that is very much in line with the namesake.

These have a carbon monocoque handle underneath the grip overlay which has become quite popular and the grips are either carbon or rubber. On certain models you can get it custom made one way or another. The rods are built in the ‘one and a half’ sense in that they are two-piece rods that neither break at the handle nor at the center. Instead, the break occurs about a third of the length of the rod from the butt end. The ‘paradox’ in their action and name comes from combining quite different carbon modulus blanks in the two pieces comprising the rod. The initial third of the butt end is heavy and stout and the remaining length of the rod married to this power is amazingly responsive. The 7 cm joint located a third of the length up the rod combines these two carbon moduli in a fantastic spot which marries these very different carbons into entirely different beast.

I have the 8’6 4.5 power (1st three pics). It has a 4 oz upper end, which is conservative. I’d say it has about a 6 oz upper and 3 oz is well within a broad sweet spot. This rod feels like it combines xxh in the first third of the bat and then a med heavy medium fast for the remaining 2/3rds of the rod. Put it together and it fishes like a super long MH++ fast. It can easily drive a beast hook into a 6+ lb’er within a 3 oz soft plastic swimbait. Yet, you can set the hook on a 1 pounder without ripping it out of the water. Also, you can switch between battle shad to a 3/8th oz chatterbait without missing a beat.

I initially bought it for snook and just never imagined using such a long rod for bass. It was an intimidating rod when I first unpacked it. I think the longest fresh water rod I might have used until then was an 8’1. But I do like what I consider long rods in the 7’6 range. TO my surprise, I fell in love with how this rod fishes on fresh water and it has become a permanent part of my bass arsenal. I am by no means an OG swimbait fisherman. I began learning how to fish big baits when they blew up in the mainstream and have gotten fairly proficient with them. Of the limited number of rods I’ve tried for this purpose, this one has fit that purpose for me the best. But, I also love it for chatter baits and big blade baits.

I also recently got the most recent iteration of the Paradox in the 7’3 in 5 power (last couple of pics). They updated the handle a bit and it just feels great in hand. I love this rod also. There is a new sub-series coming out soon they are calling the Paradox Parker. These have very slick looking new carbon handles that seem woven in appearance. There will be 20 models including some spinning rods. I am on the look out for these coming out for sure.

BE62A05E B0C8 4064 A71F E8B63114AB71
A5260CD8 C852 42F4 82EC AC14F1A72853
0887B5FA D8F1 4041 BF19 5253CCC04F67
IMG 1353
IMG 1347

ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

Interesting... 

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch

Man, that's Kool as all get out!  I actually love using my Shimano Hard Rocker BB 8'3" MHF, and my first 3lb Tennessee smallie came on this rod tossing a 1/4 oz OG Team Daiwa 70 Popper, paired to an old school late 1990s Team Daiwa 1300i spinning reel.

I also have a Yamaga Blanks Blue Current III 82B that's also a fun blank, it's just a bit unwieldy for baitcasting from shore, but such a unique, fun, and capable rod.

Which Paradox model would be a comparable to say an EG TKIC Super Stallion but in 7'6" or longer?

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Outstanding write up, bud. Everything SC does is of the utmost quality. For years, I’ve been blown away by everything I’ve bought for myself and inventory for the shop. People just don’t know how well built and designed their offerings are without experiencing them. The new line is really nice. Quality is as you would expect from them. I was excited to hear they were building this line when I had dinner with Masamichi almost 2 years ago and have been very impressed with what they’ve come up with. Loooong overdue, IMO. If all goes well, I should be adding them to the product lineup on the site. 

Gotta ask, what’s your favorite thing to toss on the 8’6” 4.5? I honestly have never considered one as I wouldn’t be able to use it during a tournament with our 8’ length limits, but you’ve got me very intrigued. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Polkfish1
(@polkfish1)
Limit Filler Customer
Topic starter  

@rise My favorite thing about the rod is that it’s absolute money both hooking and landing fish. You’re wielding Poseidon’s power in the first third of the batt and on top of that section you have like an old school megabass Diablo attached. I often catch short strikes on single hook baits just barely that I shouldn’t be hooking and when they’re really eating it’s just a lift of the rod and the hook is set. Once hooked, the fish has no chance it seems no matter the size. Something has to really go sideways to miss the landing.

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Polkfish1
(@polkfish1)
Limit Filler Customer
Topic starter  

@dragon1 This is a tough question, because I think that while you’ll get more power in the bat on the Paradox 7606 than the OG EG Super stallion, the tip will be more lively if that makes any sense. Based on reading and no personal experience, it seems like the Paradox ARC 73 may resemble the EG SS. 

If you’re interested in these, I’d wait for the new Paradox Parker series to come out. 20 models supposedly, so there will be lots of options. The handles on the new rods look amazing. Should be a stellar lineup.

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch

@polkfish1 

What online shop would you recommend I visit to check out this brand when they release the Parker series?

ReplyQuote
Polkfish1
(@polkfish1)
Limit Filler Customer
Topic starter  

@dragon1 To buy, I'd recommend Backlash. They usually set them up for pre-order earliest allowing you to reserve one before they sell out. They have one of the best, if not the best, shipping price in the biz as far as I'm concerned and their packing full proof. Good selection of ID. Fairly easy website to maneuver. They ship immediately if its on the shelf or as soon as they get it in if you pre-order.

To see the new series, you need to go on the studio composite Instagram site. That's the only place I've seen photos and info posted.

Goldrod reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer

Posted by: @polkfish1

@dragon1 To buy, I'd recommend Backlash. They usually set them up for pre-order earliest allowing you to reserve one before they sell out. They have one of the best, if not the best, shipping price in the biz as far as I'm concerned and their packing full proof. Good selection of ID. Fairly easy website to maneuver. They ship immediately if its on the shelf or as soon as they get it in if you pre-order.

To see the new series, you need to go on the studio composite Instagram site. That's the only place I've seen photos and info posted.

Backlash also has an "English" website that's pretty easy to follow ...

ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer

Interesting and i  like it!!! 

ReplyQuote
Share: