The ultimate Fluke Rod

13 Posts
5 Users
19 Reactions
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

I was thinking about ( its dangerous i know !!) my hard jerk bait rod and today I was using a zoom fluke on a 7' rod and I had to ask myself why? 

The biggest bass i ever caught on a fluke came off my super rakki megabass rod and I would like to find a rod that is less than 7' but not 6'6", that's uber sensitive and just the ultimate rod for flukes. rod has to have some backbone.. and some tip too but sensitive. 

Where do you think i should start looking? 

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Kickerfish1
(@kickerfish1)
Limit Filler

This is something I was thinking of recently as well. Just because the super fluke is a tad lighter than say a 5 inch senko, Yamamoto D Shad or SK caffeine Shad. You almost need a medium action rod with a ML tip and a MH backbone. Likely a JDM rod of some sort so it is aesthetically pleasing, sensitive, built well etc. Also being down in Florida you likely fish much larger fish and much harrier cover than I do here in the Midwest. I really don’t want to suggest anything. I almost feel like the X7 EM combined with the X7 super Eiger with the super Eigers height would likely fit the bill.

I am going to try my Sedition Cristobal with a fluke this year. It is more of a mag ML or lighter medium. A little longer than your length preferences. 

The other part is line and reel. I like 10-12 lb straight floro for feel and slack line bites. Alphas/Steez Reels also work best with their size and weights and spool options. Good luck either way you go.

This is what I am going to try this year

EE4524E8 7037 4C9F 8F19 78D565463922

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @kickerfish1

This is something I was thinking of recently as well. Just because the super fluke is a tad lighter than say a 5 inch senko, Yamamoto D Shad or SK caffeine Shad. You almost need a medium action rod with a ML tip and a MH backbone. Likely a JDM rod of some sort so it is aesthetically pleasing, sensitive, built well etc. Also being down in Florida you likely fish much larger fish and much harrier cover than I do here in the Midwest. I really don’t want to suggest anything. I almost feel like the X7 EM combined with the X7 super Eiger with the super Eigers height would likely fit the bill.

I am going to try my Sedition Cristobal with a fluke this year. It is more of a mag ML or lighter medium. A little longer than your length preferences. 

The other part is line and reel. I like 10-12 lb straight floro for feel and slack line bites. Alphas/Steez Reels also work best with their size and weights and spool options. Good luck either way you go.

This is what I am going to try this year

EE4524E8 7037 4C9F 8F19 78D565463922

oooooph…that’s dirty…😍👏🏻

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Great question, and making me realize I haven’t tossed a fluke in a long time…shame on me as they have produced great quality over the years.

I have a few Designos that would probably nail this technique, but some water time would be needed. In the meantime…I use the 170M Ultima and love it, but being you’d like something shorter…How about trying a 22 or 23 1610M Poison Ultima…

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
KV80
 KV80
(@kv80)
Fingerling

Once in a while I fish weightless flukes in moderate cover. Its a technique all these years I'm still messing around to find the right setup but failed. Although I don't fish it enough so I just don't give it enough time. So far the best rod I've used for it would be the X7 Cyclone Advantage. It's F4 but the backbone is pretty stout. I just toss an Alphas SV with zpi bearings and it does the job well. Still not the perfect rod for flukes though. 

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

I am going to reach out to Otterods for some ideas. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @kv80

Once in a while I fish weightless flukes in moderate cover. Its a technique all these years I'm still messing around to find the right setup but failed. Although I don't fish it enough so I just don't give it enough time. So far the best rod I've used for it would be the X7 Cyclone Advantage. It's F4 but the backbone is pretty stout. I just toss an Alphas SV with zpi bearings and it does the job well. Still not the perfect rod for flukes though. 

I was looking at the features of this rod. I have never used one but will try to find one. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

Megabass F4-68X7 Destroyer X7 Cyclone Advantage Part 1 (youtube.com)

wish i could translate. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer

I know it's a bit of a conflict interest but the Steez Harrier 6'10" Shorty for flukes in 4"-6" range.

dragon1, Goldrod and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @blitzdr

I know it's a bit of a conflict interest but the Steez Harrier 6'10" Shorty for flukes in 4"-6" range.

Solid recommendation. 👍🏼👍🏼

dragon1 and Goldrod reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @blitzdr

Thanks..!!!

BlitzDR and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Any updates? 

ReplyQuote
Kickerfish1
(@kickerfish1)
Limit Filler

No updates from me. I am still sorting through options and such ans waiting for warmer weather and spring here. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: