RAID Japan Rod Strategy - Part I

17 Posts
5 Users
30 Likes
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

With the addition of the Baltoro II "Heat", I've got my preliminary team for the upcoming season.

Winter ---> Pre-spawn

1.  The lead off position will go to the "Heat".  At 7'2", Medium Heavy + action and a fast taper.  Although my SC location provides for year-round action, will begin the fishing year with Winter/Pre-Spawn and medium and deep cranks.  O.S.P and RAID Japan 

2.  Second will be the "Joker".  6'10" M with a regular fast taper.  Some lipless, vibrating and blade baits and jerkbaits

3.  Third is the "King Heavy".  Heavy action for 1 oz swimbaits, hard and soft, football jigs and 1/2 oz spinnerbaits + trailer.

4.  In the Clean Up spot, the "Baltoro".  6'10" MH with a fast taper.  Jig and trailer, lighter spinnerbaits and buzzbaits.  Why go with a 6'10" MH fast taper rod for jigs?  Simple, really.  The "Baltoro" is one piece, the "Heat" is 7'2" with grip-joint.  Sensitivity is extremely important in the early season.  Detecting a light bite can make the difference between a skunk in the boat or grinny pix!

5.  Although it's a spinning rod NOT a casting rod, the "Power Nose", 7' H action Fast taper is integral to the team.  Finesse jigs with small swimbait trailer can put you over the top.

pkn8, RISE, Gaijin and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Outstanding lineup, bud. Not to mention…Very cool to watch this transition happen for you. The RAID offerings are overlooked too often, IMO, so I’m glad to see you enjoying them so much/adding more to your arsenal. I gotta ask…Which are you most excited about? 

ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @rise

Outstanding lineup, bud. Not to mention…Very cool to watch this transition happen for you. The RAID offerings are overlooked too often, IMO, so I’m glad to see you enjoying them so much/adding more to your arsenal. I gotta ask…Which are you most excited about? 

I've been thinking about this question for almost 5 hours!  It's a bit difficult for me to answer because of a my personal situation.  If you'll bear with me for a minute, I'll explain.  I suffered from a massive stroke/cerebral hemorrhage in 2012 and while I survived, obviously, it had a major impact on everything personality-wise and then some.  Without going into too much boring drone, it affected how I viewed things.

The steaks are tastier.  The flowers more fragrant.  It's not just because I almost died, it's allowed me to appreciate the minutiae.  I'll step back for just a second; I've always been interested in the creative process.  Whether it's a song, a painting, a motorcycle, a ship I always need to know the why, the how, when.  Now, a few years back, a hooked into what would be my second best bass.  It was epiphanous!  I felt the bass surging against the rod.  The line in the guides.  The reel turning, drag singing, the muscles in my hands and arms, it was like, "THIS is what's it all about it!".  The singularity.  Fish.  Equipment.  Man.  One.

I would be excited by any of them BUT I do know which it's most likely to be, well, one of two.  It will be either "Baltoro II Heat" or "King Heavy" simply as a matter of physics, power, sensitivity.

My apologies for complicating a simple question!

dragon1, Gaijin and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

You didn’t complicate that at all. You, sir, are a lucky man. Forget the life or death thing, no disrespect but that’s in the past. And here you are, living life the way only a select few are able. It must be wonderful.

Merry Christmas everyone

dragon1, BlitzDR, Gaijin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Beautifully said, brother. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I had no idea, and all I can say is that I’m sincerely grateful you are alive and a part of this family. I’m very much the same in terms of needing to understand how things work and why…I get it. There’s also an incredibly powerful message in what you shared. Be present, be in the moment and take in your surroundings, thoughts, senses. Those “ah-haaa!” moments are priceless, and so is life. Thank you so much for sharing this…keep doin what you’re doing!

🙏🏼👊🏼💥

dragon1, BlitzDR and Gaijin reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

Beautifully said, brother. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I had no idea, and all I can say is that I’m sincerely grateful you are alive and a part of this family. I’m very much the same in terms of needing to understand how things work and why…I get it. There’s also an incredibly powerful message in what you shared. Be present, be in the moment and take in your surroundings, thoughts, senses. Those “ah-haaa!” moments are priceless, and so is life. Thank you so much for sharing this…keep doin what you’re doing!

🙏🏼👊🏼💥

Thanks, not to overstate but what doesn't kill you, etc., etc.,.  

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch

Thank you Sir, for sharing your life passion and continued enlightenment with our beautiful pastime.  We are happy that you are still with us in the world of living and learning...it gives all of us purpose, inspiration, and aspiration, when reading these human stories that we can all connect with.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays fellas.

BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
pkn8
 pkn8
(@pkn8)
Limit Filler Customer

Thank you for the rod summaries. For such a long time there was lacking info for Raid rods but now this bumps them up on my "need to buy" wishlist.

Always learning...

dragon1 and BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

Part I - Update 1

Bartolo II "Heat"

If it were 100% based upon casting and sensitivity/action/taper, it would have been knocked out of the park!  I was tossing an O.S.P Blitz DR on 16lb Daiwa Samurai FC and had it not been chilly this morning, I would have measured off the cast.  I don't want to guesstimate but it was great.

I could feel the bait working, stopping, rising.  I'm not worried, the time will come!

Side note:  Although it wasn't on the list, I brought my old Spin Cobra out to work with some finesse jigs.  Micro guides and frozen braid w/ice chunks DO NOT mix!  #AchillesHeel

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@blitzdr were there any cons so far, in your opinion?

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

@blitzdr were there any cons so far, in your opinion?

Not yet, but it was only an hour or an hour an half.  I still have to hook into a few fish of size and I work a jig/worm type bait for sensitivity.

There is one build issue related to build but it's minor.  The reel sits a little off line from guides.  I'll take a pic.  I've seen it on other rods too, so ...

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@blitzdr really? Surprising for RAID, usually on point.

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

@blitzdr really? Surprising for RAID, usually on point.

I'm not so sure it's a RAID issue.  I think it could be a reel foot problem because I've seen it before on a variety of rod/reel combos.

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

Update II:

It rained 26 DEC 2023 all day but 27 DEC 2023 was warm ~ 58º F.  Water was up about 1.5' than normal but relatively clear near the dam.  Water temps were up 5º from 48º to about 52º-54º F.  The upper 2/3 ranged from dingy to muddy.  Backs of coves were lightly turbid with leaves, loose veg, grasses and wood.

5 rods on the boat, 3 got used:

1.  Baltoro II "Heat" - 1/2 oz RAID LEVEL VIB B.I.G.

I used this outfit with the RAID Japan LEVEL VIB B.I.G. vibration crank.  I was

impressed with the casting distance over my old Team Daiwa Tak 7' fiberglass

crankin' rod.  Also good sensitivity for reading the bait BUT no fish, so until that

test is passed, it's all academic.

2.  The "Joker" - 1/2 oz LEVEL VIB BOOST HEAVY WEIGHT

This rod got the least action.  I was just testing sensitivity of blade bait and action.  

I'm not a blade expert.  Trying to add it to my bag of tricks for "winter" tactics.

IMG 3055

3.  King Heavy - 1/2 MAXX BLADE POWER w/4" FULLSWING TRAILER

This rod got the most use for a couple of reasons.  I'm deciding if I want to

keep trying with the blade jig.  Wanted to know how this rod handled moving

baits.  Wanted to know if it cast as well as it pitched/flipped.  It did not

disappoint.

It casted well, better than many heavy action rods I've owned.  It worked the

bait well.  A bait that was probably in the 7/8 oz - 1 oz range (pic will be posted

separately).  The outfit wasn't overly bulky or unwieldy to handle.

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Absolutely outstanding breakdown…🫡

Baltoro is a must-have for me at this point. Grateful for your input and look forward to more info as you get it. 

BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: