Rod/reel/line/tech epiphanies

4 Posts
3 Users
5 Reactions
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

This is for those that had a "light bulb" moment on the water where messing with a particular bait/lure/presentation on a rod/reel combo that you never even considered for said application and tech, just worked out beautifully.

This happened to me on my Jackson Mayfly kayak this past weekend...I actually forgot a couple of tackle boxes at home and was limited to topwaters, wakes, and 6" bull shad type hard baits...all while the water was super high, up into the trees and bass were on the bream pattern.

Anyway, the combo that absolutely shocked and surprised me as being nearly perfect:

Jackall Poison Adrena 7'0" Heavy Swimbait rod (rated 3/8 - 2 oz) + Ian tuned & modded Daiwa Steez Limited 105 SV (7.9 brass EX gears + Zillion 1016 spool) + 15lb Izorline XXX + 6" slow sink 6th Sense Trace swimbait.

It was absolutely perfect for casting, manipulation of the bait, ease of use from the kayak, handling the ~ 1.4 oz bait.

Please share some of your rod/reel/line/tech "epiphanies"

BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

That’s a tough ask. Truth is, I’d venture half what I do is result of stumbling on it. Some by accident, most by stubbornness. And it seems to me most sticks do not exactly excel at what they claim to either. As such, your results don’t surprise me. Coupled with most reels can be set to perform, be it adequate or ideal, leads me once again to claim line as the ultimate catalyst. Line swaps change everything about a combo.

You shared a cool story; I love outings like that. And as much as I hate to admit it, probably half the time I go out I find myself wishing I had something with that I didn’t. Which either forces a lesson or teaches something cool. Like what happened to you. As Forrest Gump said, life is like a box of chocolates. You never really know what you’re gonna get.

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

@one-love 

Right on brother...I appreciate the input, and I agree that the line used can make a dramatic difference. In this case, I think that braid + a heavy 17-20 leader would also be excellent in order to feel a bite at the end of a long cast, and I could have gotten a bit deeper run from the Trace 6" slow sink with fluoro.  Really what shocked me was how well the 7.9 EX brass gears worked for manipulating and cranking this bait, and how well the G1 1016 Zillion SV spool functioned, along with the rod just easily handling this bait (as well as a 1.5 oz wood rat wake).

RISE and Good Times reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

What a great question…let me stew on this and chime in a bit later. Love it. 

ReplyQuote
Share: