11 Posts
6 Users
21 Reactions
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

The shear number of knock-offs and blatant copying is mind boggling these days and iCast 2023 was a very clear example of this. 

I consciously make an effort to support the originators and not the imitators. Gomexus, Berkley, and countless others continue to rip off original ideas and undercut pricing, effectively destroying the hard-working smaller builders and innovators both in this country and overseas (Japan, etc). I’m aware that this has been going on for decades but it has never been done at the levels it is today. I know for most, money is tight and fishing is an expensive hobby, but I hope we can all do our best to support those who have worked so hard to bring their original ideas to market and not give in to the corporate beast/knockoff artists at every turn, just because we save a few bucks. 

GOMEXUS has been copying the Varial/Livre/Megatech and Studio Composite stuff for some time, and have now started duplicating older ZPI designs as well. Attached pic of OG ZPI Camo handle on one of my MGs for comparison, followed by the “new” Gomexus green Camo handle that has Studio Composite porting, ZPI’s markings and a very familiar double screw retainer that resembles the FX68 and Daiwa retainers. The knobs…Varial copies. 

OSP’s Dolive Beaver is now a Berkley Bait (Bronco) that they act as though they have invented.

The Grow Design Works Flags have also been copied (Berkley Nessie) and even won an award for soft bait at iCast this year.

Not to mention…Zaldain’s Mag Draft Knock off and so many others in recent months…

Hoping we can vote with our money and not condone this stuff. 

Rant done.

IMG 3127
IMG 3126
IMG 3124
IMG 3125

Berkley Nessie is first pic then GDW Flag

IMG 3128
IMG 3129

Gaijin, dragon1 and BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer

Agreed.  Compare what O.S.P is doing with the Dice Bait.  For those who may not know, Field Side, is the original but couldn't keep up with demand.  I'm sure they aren't doing it for love of humanity but it's a step in the right direction.

pkn8, dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer

The absolute truth 

nothing is sacred! 
no more original ideas 

RISE, BlitzDR and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
pkn8
 pkn8
(@pkn8)
Limit Filler Customer

Posted by: @rise

I consciously make an effort to support the originators and not the imitators.

I couldn't agree more. If there is one way to speak, it's with our wallets.

Here's my rant and take on all this...

Spoiler
LONG RANT

The entire fishing industry (especially here in the US) has become an ever revolving circus of hypocrisy and lying. I absolutely ABHOR the "professional" bass fishing industry because it does nothing but promote lies. All these "big time" fisherman just straight up lie to people at events, shows, weigh-ins and interviews. "Oh yeah I caught all my fish this weekend on [insert sponsored brand here] with a [insert sponsored rod, reel, line combo]" We have technology now. We can zoom in, freeze, enhance, and edit the video. We know what you're using. We know it was a Vision 110 and not a Berkley Stunna. We know it was a Magdraft and not a ZMan Wannabe Magdraft. I get it, as a sponsored angler you have to put the baits out there because you are being paid to do so. It's your job. You could still be honorable and transparent about it though. Reminds me of when Zaldain jumped ship from Megabass to Googan/Bass Mafia. Many fans (and I think wrongfully) began to bombard his socials because he left Megabass. I get that he has a family to feed and bills to pay so if he left for money then that's fine. But he started to fire back with all these pretentious lies of "When did Megabass sponsor a tournament?" or "I left because Googan is more passionate". Don't lie to us. Just be honest and transparent and be real. We might be dumb but we're not stupid.

The big name companies at this point don't care and lean on either the ignorant loyalty of consumers or the "I don't care" crowd to justify them stealing from other companies. For them, there are no morals, dignity or respect. It's just money at this point. If they can steal a bait and make it cheaper and sell more, then they'll do it because at the end of the day they'll still rake in the dough. Trait Zaldain posted a response (seen below) to Chris constantly being called out on his ugly Magdraft rip off and it really just shows the greed and mindset behind everything going on. Consumers will justify purchases with "It's cheaper and more readily available" all while screaming about how we shouldn't buy "Made in China" because they produce rip-offs. Ironic. Dudes will go complaining on how there are no more original ideas with "Made in America" stamped on them. But when Working Class Zero comes out with new, innovate ideas made here in the states...they blow them off and complain about price. You can't have your cake and eat it too...

361652326 605510764779459 8248500395567428407 n

There was a video of Wheeler talking about how the Bronco was inspired by the OSP Beaver. But let's be real, it wasn't inspired. It was a straight rip off. Inspiration should have you make it your own. Inspiration is like how DRT made interchangable lips and the rest of the JDM market took that concept and added their own twist to it. They took a CONCEPT and made it their own. Not the whole freaking bait.

I have lost all respect for Ike, the Zaldains, Wheeler, Berkley, Z Man, SPRO, Missile Baits and Rapala. Heck, most of the US fishing industry is garbage. Do they care about me? No. But they will never have a cent from me. I know The Hook Up Tackle is divisive but I think that them calling out companies is finally starting to open people's eyes. It's sobering. It's a step in the right direction.

Rant done...for now.

TL;DR Put your money where your mouth is.

Always learning...

Gaijin, BlitzDR and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer

I remember when Lake Fork Tackle ripped of Imakatsu's Javallon many years ago.  

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @pkn8

Posted by: @rise

I consciously make an effort to support the originators and not the imitators.

I couldn't agree more. If there is one way to speak, it's with our wallets.

Here's my rant and take on all this...

Spoiler
LONG RANT

The entire fishing industry (especially here in the US) has become an ever revolving circus of hypocrisy and lying. I absolutely ABHOR the "professional" bass fishing industry because it does nothing but promote lies. All these "big time" fisherman just straight up lie to people at events, shows, weigh-ins and interviews. "Oh yeah I caught all my fish this weekend on [insert sponsored brand here] with a [insert sponsored rod, reel, line combo]" We have technology now. We can zoom in, freeze, enhance, and edit the video. We know what you're using. We know it was a Vision 110 and not a Berkley Stunna. We know it was a Magdraft and not a ZMan Wannabe Magdraft. I get it, as a sponsored angler you have to put the baits out there because you are being paid to do so. It's your job. You could still be honorable and transparent about it though. Reminds me of when Zaldain jumped ship from Megabass to Googan/Bass Mafia. Many fans (and I think wrongfully) began to bombard his socials because he left Megabass. I get that he has a family to feed and bills to pay so if he left for money then that's fine. But he started to fire back with all these pretentious lies of "When did Megabass sponsor a tournament?" or "I left because Googan is more passionate". Don't lie to us. Just be honest and transparent and be real. We might be dumb but we're not stupid.

The big name companies at this point don't care and lean on either the ignorant loyalty of consumers or the "I don't care" crowd to justify them stealing from other companies. For them, there are no morals, dignity or respect. It's just money at this point. If they can steal a bait and make it cheaper and sell more, then they'll do it because at the end of the day they'll still rake in the dough. Trait Zaldain posted a response (seen below) to Chris constantly being called out on his ugly Magdraft rip off and it really just shows the greed and mindset behind everything going on. Consumers will justify purchases with "It's cheaper and more readily available" all while screaming about how we shouldn't buy "Made in China" because they produce rip-offs. Ironic. Dudes will go complaining on how there are no more original ideas with "Made in America" stamped on them. But when Working Class Zero comes out with new, innovate ideas made here in the states...they blow them off and complain about price. You can't have your cake and eat it too...

361652326 605510764779459 8248500395567428407 n

There was a video of Wheeler talking about how the Bronco was inspired by the OSP Beaver. But let's be real, it wasn't inspired. It was a straight rip off. Inspiration should have you make it your own. Inspiration is like how DRT made interchangable lips and the rest of the JDM market took that concept and added their own twist to it. They took a CONCEPT and made it their own. Not the whole freaking bait.

I have lost all respect for Ike, the Zaldains, Wheeler, Berkley, Z Man, SPRO, Missile Baits and Rapala. Heck, most of the US fishing industry is garbage. Do they care about me? No. But they will never have a cent from me. I know The Hook Up Tackle is divisive but I think that them calling out companies is finally starting to open people's eyes. It's sobering. It's a step in the right direction.

Rant done...for now.

TL;DR Put your money where your mouth is.

Couldn't agree more. Very solid rant…👏🏻👏🏻💪🏻

ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @blitzdr

I remember when Lake Fork Tackle ripped of Imakatsu's Javallon many years ago.  

That was quite a few years back, yes…

I remember seeing them for sale at a local Walmart. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
triple_illusion
(@triple_illusion)
Limit Filler

I agree 100% RISE! I despise this trend! Creativity is a sacred gift, and our Japanese brothers are highly talented at what they do! Plagiarism is a particularly foul offense. JDM for the win as always!

design everything_

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Gaijin
(@gaijin)
Slot Fish Admin

Im a firm believer of voting with your money. This is what I'm very passionate about. If you want to play you have to be willing to pay. Don't half ass your way in with cheap Chinese are blatant rip offs. It sickens me as its down right theft. The old saying if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all needs to apply here as well. If you don't have anything original to produce , don't produce anything at all. I miss the old days where people would get punched in the face for being disrespectful. 

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@gaijin right on brother. Couldn’t agree more.

It’s akin to my dad spanking me every time I did something wrong (definitely deserving of discipline 😆) and I am absolutely grateful for that. Taught me very valuable lessons, especially in that respect arena. 

There is none anymore. 

Gaijin and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @triple_illusion

I agree 100% RISE! I despise this trend! Creativity is a sacred gift, and our Japanese brothers are highly talented at what they do! Plagiarism is a particularly foul offense. JDM for the win as always!

Word…👊🏼

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: