Daiwa Zillion SV TW 1000XH vs Zillion TW HD 1000XH

4 Posts
3 Users
5 Likes
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

After some time with both reels, I decided to go head to head, uhh, cast to cast as to the better reel for MY purposes.

First, addressing the elephant in the room, the finish of the SV TW.  It’s bad, a scratch magnet.  On the level of that Shimano Metanium, I think it was, if not please correct me.  I’m shallow and vain.  I’m not ashamed to admit it.  Battle scars should be earned, not be a result of a less than stellar paint job.

Let’s also state for the record, the Zillion TW HD is designed for heavier lures and heavier tactics.  Casting could be a bit of a handicap.

Although I brought up the finish of the SV TW, the actual reason for trading up to a heavier reel is the potential bass size.  I have personally caught fish over 8 pounds and dropped a 10 pounder at the gunnel as I reached for the net.  The lake record is 13 pounds and change.

If it were a matter of mostly 2 pound fish with a occasional lunker, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought.  I would have stuck with the SV TW and been done with it.  Maybe gotten an HD for flippin’, pitchin’ or swimbaits.

Back to the comparison.  Most of the baits I throw are from about 7 grams - 14 grams, ~1/4 oz-1/2 oz.  Sometimes, generally lipless cranks, jigs or wakebaits I’m in the 21 gram neighborhood, 3/4 oz.  It’s not a matter of staying within your lane, it’s more a matter of doing what you were designed to do.

I think the best bet is to compromise.  In the winter and prespawn, I’ll go with the HD.  Casting isn’t as much an issue and the bass run a bit heavier.  I’m also not throwing as much topwater, except for buzzbaits which can run a bit heavier.  Post-spawn and summer, I’ll go more with the SV TW for most of the work.  Heavy duty will get the frog, slop and jig work.

Who said I’m uncompromising?

Polkfish1 and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch

Dat-be-why the TP Enthusiast answer is always "get bof'em"!

Polkfish1, pkn8 and BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
pkn8
 pkn8
(@pkn8)
Limit Filler Customer

I've been going back and forth on getting the SV TW ever since it came out. But it seems like there are so many better reels out there (discontinued or current).

Always learning...

ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

Rolling Update Zillion SV TW vs Zillion TW HD —

2 reels, same names, 2 totally different applications.

The SV TW is casts for both distance and smoothly with relatively light weights, about 5/16ths-1/2oz, with ease and minimal effort.

The HD, on the other hand is what they wanted for the Big Bait Special.  The heaviest baits I toss are 1/2 jigs w/trailer, top range ballpark of 3/4 oz?  I’m not even warming that bad boy up.  The closest I came to an actual bait for that range was the O.S.P. Blitz Magnum @ 1.6 oz but the rod was a 7’ Tak Tatula Elite.

We can close this chapter.

ReplyQuote
Share: