IMG 1277
IMG 1276

dragon1, Gaijin, Good Times and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Yeah, buddy. Great pickup. I’ve been on the fence about this model for a minute. What’s the taper like? I’m assuming more of a versatile, dual taper?…

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch

Nice grab!  I hope you still have some open water to test it and give us a report.😎

RISE and BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @rise

Yeah, buddy. Great pickup. I’ve been on the fence about this model for a minute. What’s the taper like? I’m assuming more of a versatile, dual taper?…

I've been thinking about this one for quite a while and finally I'm like, just go for it!  I like the design philosphy of RAID, multiple uses for the same rod.  I have a boat BUT in Upstate SC, the seasonal tactics you might need 7 or 8 outfits for the year, at least.  Adds up to some serious coin.

With my half a century of angling experience and RAID's youtube videos, I should be out of the poor house for another couple of years!

I'll start filing some reports on this rod and the King Heavy.

On a tangent of the RAID reports, is there a way to move the Power Nose, Joker, Baltoro, Baltoro II and King Heavy into one heading?

thanks

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@blitzdr I’ll see if I can merge the threads. Please update on this rod ASAP, brother…it’s been on the radar since the Maxx and Bishop came into my lineup. Those two have left a good impression thus far. We are counting on you…🫡

dragon1, Gaijin and BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

Had some on the water time with the new Baltoro II Heat.  

Some time with a 1/2 oz spinnerbait and a 3/8 oz.

No fish, as I was setting up my new Humminbird HELIX 5 DI.

I think the plan is, the Baltoro II Heat will be a crankin', spinnerbait, light hard swimbait rod and the Baltoro 6'10" will be for jigs, flukes and worms BECAUSE it's 1 piece, the Baltoro II Heat has a grip joint.

Also, I'm trying not to be uptight, but when I put the Heat, the joint didn't align exactly correctly AND I had a bit of a time trying to separate the two pieces.  I don't want any issues so I'm trying to figure a was to separate the parts, put some beeswax on the ferrule and get it back together.

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@blitzdr Great update, thank you! I honestly had hopes that it would be bit more powerful, but from your description, it’ll probably still be added to the stable. Maybe chatterbait duties?…As far as the joints not meeting up, they are not supposed to. There will be a “gap” between them. This IS normal. Overtime, for people who assemble and disassemble the rod while traveling, they will… For lack of better words…wear in and start seating closer together. I for one, never take them apart after putting them together, so it’s not an issue for me, but to separate them, wet a washcloth and put it in the refrigerator or freezer to get nice and cold. Then…Wrap around the blank, right at the joint, let sit for a while and and this should allow you to twist them apart (Ice can work as well) as a result of contraction. Make sure you only twist when trying to separate the two pieces. Pulling straight out can damage the ferrule. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

@blitzdr Great update, thank you! I honestly had hopes that it would be bit more powerful, but from your description, it’ll probably still be added to the stable. Maybe chatterbait duties?…As far as the joints not meeting up, they are not supposed to. There will be a “gap” between them. This IS normal. Overtime, for people who assemble and disassemble the rod while traveling, they will… For lack of better words…wear in and start seating closer together. I for one, never take them apart after putting them together, so it’s not an issue for me, but to separate them, wet a washcloth and put it in the refrigerator or freezer to get nice and cold. Then…Wrap around the blank, right at the joint, let sit for a while and and this should allow you to twist them apart (Ice can work as well) as a result of contraction. Make sure you only twist when trying to separate the two pieces. Pulling straight out can damage the ferrule. 

The taper on the II is rated as Fast but would consider it between Fast and Extra-fast.  But that's just first impression.  I'll go out 1 more time before Christmas to throw an O.S.P Blitz EX DR for a while.

Clear on the gap, I noticed that on the JDM Steez rods and the RAID King Heavy.  I figured cold would be the ticket, but it's like off by 11:59:47 am (or pm) and it's for distance casting, not accuracy.  Thanks for the suggestion.

The RAID sticks are growing on me.  Are they premium level MB, EG or JDM Daiwa?  No, they are not but I would put them up against some of their medium level stuff.  

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

Little chilly in SC Upstate this morning so I didn't need a chilled washcloth!  I was able to separate and adjust blank from handle.

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @blitzdr

Little chilly in SC Upstate this morning so I didn't need a chilled washcloth!  I was able to separate and adjust blank from handle.

Great to hear! Now, the million dollar question…how did it handle those EX DR’s?

Do I need to add this rod to my arsenal? I mean… Is it a must have in your opinion? I’m usually one to just by and try, but this one has had me torn and I’ve currently got a few others on the radar, so I’m relying on your thoughts/input, my friend. No pressure, though…

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

@rise I will run tests, side by side, Baltoro (6'10") vs Baltoro II (7'2").  The lake isn't a "numbers" lake to begin with and with the water temps hovering between 46ºF and 50ºF, the proving pudding is pretty thin!

I caught a few on the Baltoro with the RAID Level Crank Mid and O.S.P Blitz DR and ran the EX-DR with no takers.  I may have to wait a couple more weeks on late winter and pre-spawn fish but I'll do my best.

thanks 

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @blitzdr

@rise I will run tests, side by side, Baltoro (6'10") vs Baltoro II (7'2").  The lake isn't a "numbers" lake to begin with and with the water temps hovering between 46ºF and 50ºF, the proving pudding is pretty thin!

I caught a few on the Baltoro with the RAID Level Crank Mid and O.S.P Blitz DR and ran the EX-DR with no takers.  I may have to wait a couple more weeks on late winter and pre-spawn fish but I'll do my best.

thanks 

We may have received a reprieve with the weather.  If so, I'll be running the Blitz EX DR side by side on a Baltoro and the Baltoro II "Heat".  Fingers crossed!

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

Fished the Baltoro and Baltoro 2 "Heat" side by side for a quite a bit this morning.  Overall, I prefer the "Heat" with 1 caveat, I haven't caught a fish with it.  I like the action with the bait, the response, casting, retreiving.  I also prefer the Heat over the Baltoro with the EX DR.

Next test is going to be Blitz DR.  I may wind up with the Heat for the EX DR and the Baltoro for the Blitz DR.

Ever forward!

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer
Topic starter  

First fish on the Baltoro II Heat, not big but ice is broken

IMG 1379

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Outstanding. How are you liking the rod overall? 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: