Evergreen Kaleido "Black Raven" Extreme RS

10 Posts
4 Users
25 Likes
Kietpham
(@kietpham)
Dink Customer
Topic starter  

Who would thought that you can actually feel everything in the bottom? This rod is a "must" try if you are a JDM enthusiastic, the Evergreen Kaleido Black Raven Extreme RS

Another sharing post here for y'all to consider this beautiful and crazy sensitive rod, where all the best, the latest materials, most fancy combination on an JDM Evergreen rod. This post will be purely base on my own experiences, after 1 month of using this rod for both heavy-medium heavy game with skirt jig (which this rod is made for ) and others techniques that I've tried on this rod. 

Toray T1100G blank + M40X carbon + Titanium Torzite Guides: What can you ask for more? Evergreen is a pure performance rod, where their design was not strictly about beauty, but somewhat looks awesome on your hand. When comparing with Megabass or other brands (Nories, Daiwa, Shimano, Deps, etc...), the design of Evergreen is quite simple, yet enough details for a ultra high-end rod, not too colorful, not too much fancy (woods, carbon) where it can make the rod super heavy like Arms, but simple traditional with cork grip and plenty of signature taste of their brand. 

Coming from 2021 and it has been 3 years since, this rod is still among all one of the most sensitive rod on my hand after a huge amount of jdm rod I've experiences. The tip is not too stiff and also not to soft, where literally you can feel every bump from the bottom, from rocks to mud, especially when a fish bite, you will know exactly that special moment, and prepare your self to set the hook. It is quite weird for me at first, rating as MH rod but the first couple fish I caught on this rod does not seem to be MH but rather M+, as I was quite afraid to have a full power hook set and lost so many fish holding my arms back rather than a full send hook set, which is what this rod is design for. After time, I notice the middle section of the rod is stiffer than what I imagined, and since then, every hook set I've made is a perfectly set, where no fish can escape, even in heavy grass area, or light-punching through grass mat. Yes, Evergeen did perfectly describe the rod as MH, but I think we will need a couple trips with rod to figure out what it want, how it can be play and how to treat it right. It was like an living thing on your hand, as they can speak to you, and the rod will tell you exactly what to do, and that's what been so good with all Evergreen rod I've used, especially with the Kaleido RS series. 

This particular Black Raven Extreme was design around for skirt jig, just bottom contact in general. The sensitivity is no like any other brand, with the balance of the whole rod of 116gr aka 4.14oz, not heavy at all but also not extreme light, it was perfect for this kind of technique, where popping/ moving the tip to create action every cast, you won't feel tired for all day casting for sure. Rating from 1/8-1oz but I did try a Tiny Klash on this rod too and it can also handle such weight, just not fully cast, but the action from the blank can definitely handle a little more than 1oz lure, especially big spinner or jigs. Furthermore, the handle section of the rod is quite long, which can support your action from the lure as well as setting the hook with lots of power, fighting a long fight with big fish is a plus too with the long handle. 

I have look for this rod for almost a year and finally found one last 2 months, where they was sold out everywhere, every drop from factory and overseas retailer, to be honest, this was such a gem for me as an angler using this for bass, especially with shirt/ tungsten jig. I hope this post can help all of us to have an inside look/ more field experiences base on what I share, and definitely a true masterpiece from Evergreen. 

IMG 1966
IMG 2007
IMG 8866
IMG 2036
IMG 2038

RISE, dragon1, Good Times and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Gaijin
(@gaijin)
Slot Fish Admin

Great write up man! Now you got me thinking I might need to grab one. I’ve got a new rod I need to try out first. lol but dude.. crocks on a dirt bike? How do you still have toenails? lol 

dragon1 and Kietpham reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

Great write indeed, I love reading posts like this. Detailed and honest.

dragon1 and Kietpham reacted
ReplyQuote
Kietpham
(@kietpham)
Dink Customer
Topic starter  

@gaijin lol my lazy ass dont want to put on the sock and then tying the laces, so just the crocs would be perfect. Its been awhile when we talked on facebook, hope you can remember this kid from Vietnam and glad to see the new life in Japan is good for you, all the best fishing company laying around.

Gaijin and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Kietpham
(@kietpham)
Dink Customer
Topic starter  

@one-love thanks man, got plenty of others tackle imma share about in the future, hope these all information can help us out when looking for something different.

RISE, dragon1 and Good Times reacted
ReplyQuote
Gaijin
(@gaijin)
Slot Fish Admin

@kietpham hahaha I understand! Yeah it’s been a minute! I don’t have FB anymore but how could I forget you! I hope you’re doing well bro! 👊

Kietpham and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@kietpham great write up…you’re fitting in beautifully around here. Love it. I’ve been fishing all 3 Black Raven Variants for a while and I agree with almost everything you said. I do wish it had just a tiny bit more power and fished like a true MH power. I feel the rod fishes more like a medium+ power, but regardless…it’s an amazing stick. Congrats on the acquisition!!

Gaijin and Kietpham reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Image 2 16 21 at 6.01 PM
Image 2 16 21 at 6.00 PM (2)
Image 2 16 21 at 6.00 PM
IMG 6876
IMG 6881
phonto
IMG 6877
phonto
IMG 6868
IMG 6874
IMG 6869

ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Just wanted to update, I’ve moved this into the “Baitcasting” subforum in the “Rods” section. 

🙏🏼🤙🏼

ReplyQuote
Gaijin
(@gaijin)
Slot Fish Admin

@rise the pictures of the combos on carbon and my pants match. Lol 💦

Great shots! Only reason I wish I was a righty is for sick pics. The handle and lettering is always facing the same direction. Lefty reels look wonky on rods when posing. 

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: