What’s your current reel appetite?

19 Posts
7 Users
37 Reactions
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

I have been looking for something to make me want to fork over some funds but honestly 

there is nothing that I have seen as of late that does it for me. The new pixy or what is being referred to as a pixy is a joke imho 

like where are the people who thought outside the norm and made edgy reels 

I don’t know about you but my reel appetite is gone 

Like Fisher, dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Blksheepfishing
(@blksheepfishing)
Limit Filler Customer

Have you looked at the older Daiwa Steez SV TW reel? Not the new 2024 model, but the one just before it. A couple of my fishing associates introduced me to this reel and I gave it try. I was very impressed with its performance and it just so happens that Tackle Warehouse was selling this particular model on sale to make room for the 2024 version.

I've made (2) minor changes to mine since my purpose for this reel would be skipping jigs...I swapped out the 80 mm handle for a 90 mm RCS carbon fiber version, and secondly, swapped out the stock spool to a "more shallow" RCS SV spool....

reel 1

reel 2

dragon1, Kickerfish1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @goldrod

I have been looking for something to make me want to fork over some funds but honestly 

there is nothing that I have seen as of late that does it for me. The new pixy or what is being referred to as a pixy is a joke imho 

I am and always will be a “Golden Era” fanboy, but I couldn’t agree with you more on the new gen stuff…things are very stagnant. Seems like most manufacturers have given up trying. No, of course there are some baseline limits to certain aspects of reel manufacturing, But yes, they should try harder. I haven’t gotten a real and probably the longest amount of time ever since I started this journey. Next up for me will most likely be the new Steez, but I’m hearing mixed things about it and I’m turned off by the fact that they used a plastic spacer/ring inside the frame around the spool. For now I will continue modding and customizing some of the gems I have on hand. I just don’t make them like that anymore. 

dragon1 and Kickerfish1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @blksheepfishing

Have you looked at the older Daiwa Steez SV TW reel? Not the new 2024 model, but the one just before it. A couple of my fishing associates introduced me to this reel and I gave it try. I was very impressed with its performance and it just so happens that Tackle Warehouse was selling this particular model on sale to make room for the 2024 version.

I've made (2) minor changes to mine since my purpose for this reel would be skipping jigs...I swapped out the 80 mm handle for a 90 mm RCS carbon fiber version, and secondly, swapped out the stock spool to a "more shallow" RCS SV spool....

-- attachment is not available --

-- attachment is not available --

yes Sir.!! Oddly enough I just picked up one that has been on the shelf and was looking for my spool box to pay around with options. 

RISE, dragon1 and Kickerfish1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

@rise 

They are inadvertently creating an atmosphere for tunning and other aftermarket upgrades.

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Kickerfish1
(@kickerfish1)
Limit Filler

Agreed. This gen is Steez certainly is worthy of the Steez name. I enjoy it as well and sadly only have from this generation of Steez but would certainly add another if the opportunity presented itself. It looks to be the last Steez rocking the 34 mm spool outside of the Steez A.

92488D90 F98B 43C3 912B 9809FCC2094C

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Kickerfish1
(@kickerfish1)
Limit Filler

My real appetite- hmmm... probably a whiskey peppercorn steak, side of asparagus and cauliflower mashed potatoes! 😍 

As far as my reel appetite the only standout reels for me of the new crop is the Geka for BFS purposes and the Zillion HD. IMO both are home runs. The Geka is the best finesse reel I have used out of the box and has all the features, spool performance and smoothness out of the box with little to no mods needed.

The Zillion HD is the best all purpose reel Daiwa has currently. Price is affordable at around $300 from Japan, has all the bells and whistles, a subtly sick two tone matte and gloss frame and robust frame and internals for about anything one would encounter. This reel to me is the offspring of the OG Zillion combined with a Steez. Weight is somewhere between both of them, 34 mm spool size opens the door for endless

FC7B08B9 2958 4A68 A22C 04801BA46A0E
5D1F0AA4 0DA0 41E8 8333 D0E822EAD3DD

spool swaps, multiple gear ratios, plenty of aftermarket parts.

Good Times, RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Kickerfish1
(@kickerfish1)
Limit Filler

7F8ADF1C CF26 458A 9573 C7ABCF77F73C

Good Times, RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Kickerfish1
(@kickerfish1)
Limit Filler

@Rise - agreed. The OG era of enthusiast tackle is where it is at and where the love started from. The creativity, uniqueness, and rareness was all there. It was possible to find the companies and artists working hard to push the boundaries of performance and looks. Now it appears they only cater to the masses. Can’t really get a reel from Daiwa with a stock CF handle anymore outside of a few SLP works runs. Can’t get any color outside of grey, black or red really. There is very little effort being made by companies to cater to enthusiasts or rekindle the flame. You can buy all the aftermarket parts you want or hoard them for projects but then you are creating a unique stock reel you have about $600 in or more. $400-800 back then would have bought you a sick limited reel with a unique paint job and fully pimped out of the box. IE limited Daiwa reels and MB offerings. Now we are left to fend for ourselves and do it ourselves...

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

Nope… In spite of selling 15+ mint to near mint gems in recent years I still have probably 20 more than I need. Most of which will be staying… Recently I’ve been looking for, and finding, what amount to parts reels in anticipation of future events. It won’t be long before the industry stops part production after a few years of each model to force new sales. The market is saturated, and we all know reels can last a lifetime. The industry will not allow that to happen.

With respect to where the industry is going? Sorry man, it’s just a reel. They can put all the digital gadgets they want but it won’t cast better than a dialed in og. It can’t. Lines might become better thereby allowing greater distance, sticks probably as well, but rotational energy remains constant. Perhaps reels become a touch lighter and if so big deal. I’m not dropping coin necessary to save a stupid 10th of an ounce. If even possible with microchips or whatever.

And allow me to be the first to say, here on this awesome site, any of you thinking oh well then we’ll just pimp the digital instead is in for rude awakening. Digital is bound by parameter, dropping a lighter spool into a digitally read map will be a disappointment. The chip won’t know what to make of it, having not been designed to operate with it, it’ll be confused, hunting if variable, never finding optimum. People all over the world do this with auto efi, exhaust, intake, always thinking how much power they gain. But a dyno would prove they lost power, they didn’t gain. So, if modding, you’ll need the spool AND the chip.

Nope, I see where new era top end is headed and I’m out. Nothing to see here, move along, move along…

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@rise 

They are inadvertently creating an atmosphere for tunning and other aftermarket upgrades.

Solid point my friend. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

reel 1

reel 2

Very nicely done. 🙌🏻

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @kickerfish1

@Rise - agreed. The OG era of enthusiast tackle is where it is at and where the love started from. The creativity, uniqueness, and rareness was all there. It was possible to find the companies and artists working hard to push the boundaries of performance and looks. Now it appears they only cater to the masses. Can’t really get a reel from Daiwa with a stock CF handle anymore outside of a few SLP works runs. Can’t get any color outside of grey, black or red really. There is very little effort being made by companies to cater to enthusiasts or rekindle the flame. You can buy all the aftermarket parts you want or hoard them for projects but then you are creating a unique stock reel you have about $600 in or more. $400-800 back then would have bought you a sick limited reel with a unique paint job and fully pimped out of the box. IE limited Daiwa reels and MB offerings. Now we are left to fend for ourselves and do it ourselves...

Well said. 🫡

Yes…those days are gone, but honestly, I’m more than ok with having to come up with new ideas/builds myself. It brings some level of originality to this scene…and honestly, I believe we (the enthusiast community) often build better looking/performing offerings that the manufacturers do. If the manufacturers built, killer looking and performing reels with lots of options, all the time…it would leave us with no fun to have. Just my two cents. 

PS…All of your builds (along with everyone else’s here) are top shelf brother…I just love em. Don’t ever stop. 👊🏼💥

ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @one-love

Nope… In spite of selling 15+ mint to near mint gems in recent years I still have probably 20 more than I need. Most of which will be staying… Recently I’ve been looking for, and finding, what amount to parts reels in anticipation of future events. It won’t be long before the industry stops part production after a few years of each model to force new sales. The market is saturated, and we all know reels can last a lifetime. The industry will not allow that to happen.

With respect to where the industry is going? Sorry man, it’s just a reel. They can put all the digital gadgets they want but it won’t cast better than a dialed in og. It can’t. Lines might become better thereby allowing greater distance, sticks probably as well, but rotational energy remains constant. Perhaps reels become a touch lighter and if so big deal. I’m not dropping coin necessary to save a stupid 10th of an ounce. If even possible with microchips or whatever.

And allow me to be the first to say, here on this awesome site, any of you thinking oh well then we’ll just pimp the digital instead is in for rude awakening. Digital is bound by parameter, dropping a lighter spool into a digitally read map will be a disappointment. The chip won’t know what to make of it, having not been designed to operate with it, it’ll be confused, hunting if variable, never finding optimum. People all over the world do this with auto efi, exhaust, intake, always thinking how much power they gain. But a dyno would prove they lost power, they didn’t gain. So, if modding, you’ll need the spool AND the chip.

Nope, I see where new era top end is headed and I’m out. Nothing to see here, move along, move along…

Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

Bravo, buddy.

Again…we can also upgrade/extract every ounce of performance from what we have available and that’s much more satisfying than buying off the shelf and accepting it the way it is. 

ReplyQuote
Aquaftm
(@aquaftm)
Limit Filler Customer

Some nice looking equipment on here. I've been pretty hungry this past year myself..

IMG 0279

dragon1, RISE and Good Times reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: