To share or not to ...

Notifications
Clear all

To share or not to share…that is the question.

19 Posts
6 Users
34 Reactions
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

What’s everyone’s take on sharing pics of your collections/lineups? Many, including myself, are reluctant to do so. Some because they don’t want to show off/draw attention and others because they don’t really collect for anyone aside from themselves. I collect for me, yet…I’ve struggled with this very topic, as I want to share, in hopes of inspiring others to get creative and be proud of what they’ve got. The other side of me wonders if it will do any good. Any others in here that would like to share their thoughts on this? Don’t care if you’re a collector or not…all input is welcomed.

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
pkn8
 pkn8
(@pkn8)
Limit Filler Customer

I am all about sharing what we have. If it wasn't for you and the rest of the people who invited me to the darkness I would probably be fishing a Lews green light saber combo.

As for sharing resources, I totally get why guys hold those close to their chest.

Always learning...

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

Interesting… My thinking is many would probably like to show. But quality photos take time, effort, and means to obtain which are valuable commodities.

My concern isn’t drawing attention but rather answering questions. Couple this with sad truth I might not be able to answer an inquiry with some element of insight is what holds me back. Details take time, with comparison, within application, accounting for variable, it gets deep quick.

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@pkn8 just know we are glad you’re not on team Lews…no offense to anyone that is, though. 

I have a dedicated tackle/collection room. It’s an addition to my house that I’ve built from scratch with my own two hands. It’s my retreat. I’m constantly revising stuff, tweaking on reels, Tackle, displays, brainstorming, etc in there and I’m happy with what it’s become, especially because it’s a product of my imagination, blood, sweat and tears. 

That said…not many have seen it. My girlfriend has asked me why I don’t post pics/share it with others in my group/on the forum. My answer to her was that I’ve collected and built what I have for me, and that I honestly don’t feel comfortable showing it off or seemingly bragging, if you will.

And this is why I’ve asked the question…to get responses from those that also collect and/or don’t. 

dragon1 and BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer

Even when I first got the "Enthusiast" bug with Ito 103M, Megabass and Evergreen rods, it was as utility.  I fished tournaments and wanted "the best" because it kept equipment failure to a minimum.  I didn't baby my stuff but it was never beaten and always maintained.

I was gifted an Evergreen Opus I spinning reel but I couldn't accept it, so I returned it, as gracefully and gratefully as possible.  I always found many of the collection type personality's to be so uptight you couldn't drive a needle up their ass with a jackhammer.  Now I'm more live and let live.  If you like to collect and display, more power to you.  If you want to purchase and utilize, enjoy.  I don't like people who abuse or disrespect their possessions, though.

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@blitzdr appreciate that input. Dig the needle and jackhammer reference…😆

I also should’ve clarified that I fish pretty much everything I own aside from some collectible baits and truly rare reels. All rods get fished, period. Most of my reels get fished aside from NIB examples of certain models/runs and even most of those…I own duplicates of so that I can fish them while keeping a pristine example on the shelf. I do both and firmly believe in enjoying that rare/elusive tackle on the water. I’ve fished my Opus 1 Ltd (Orange) along with AOIs, Personal Orders, Monoblocks, IS variants, KTF builds, etc…

Regardless, I take good care of my stuff. I’ve just very much enjoyed the hunt and ultimately completing sets from those golden years of enthusiast tackle. Lots of cool, unique items out there. Many of which most still aren’t even aware of. But again…time spent with those items on the water makes it even better. 

ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

Posted by: @blitzdr

Now I'm more live and let live. If you like to collect and display, more power to you. If you want to purchase and utilize, enjoy. I don't like people who abuse or disrespect their possessions, though.

100% to the core

BlitzDR, dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

Posted by: @rise

…time spent with those items on the water makes it even better.

Again, 100% to the core

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

Couple things, seems site does not allow two quotes from two separate posts to be quoted in the same response. That would be a nice feature.

And if I might offer insight, to anyone reading, know that if you’re cognizant of other feelings, as I am, that self stands above all else. Pride, for instance, can not be taken from you. So, who cares if anyone thinks you’re bragging? If you’re not bragging, then you’re not bragging. If someone can’t accept that, then that is on them. Same for those who utilize such tools, even the hardest most rare and obscure angling items are indeed tools. To some, an unused tool is a useless tool. To others, they want it in case they need it. Catching fish and having items to display are both valid reasons.

But neither of these concerns are truly a concern. When you possess to use or display, or both, you do it for you. Fuck everybody else. Sorry to be blunt, but that’s the way I feel about it.

dragon1, BlitzDR and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@one-love well said, appreciate your honestly/bluntness, man. 

Would love to see everyone to show off their shit, whether it be piles on a bench, in a corner or on their boat to displayed stuff. I know you’ve got some stuff shrined up, somewhere. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

@rise but of course... If a day ever comes I fail to stand straight then put me out of my misery. Please. I've been at wits end these last few years anyway, right on that edge of just losing it and running amok or something. Been there before, it's quite a spectacle... But it's cool, I'm cool, serenity now... life is good... the world is a happy place... Yes, I got some things, but you know my style is fairly well defined insofar as what I'm comfortable with. Heartbreaker, not all is JDM. Which is fine, I know. And that read is about ready, just need to figure some photos, maybe tweak it slightly. Question: have you considered a photo contest? Can't say where I got the idea from... But rather with the effort = reward thing? Maybe whip up some one time only 10-15% off coupons or something, max purchase, figure it how you want, something of that magnitude is bound to spur competition. Just brainstorming here is all

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@one-love good ideas all the way around. I’ve got some nice items I’d be willing to gift for participation.

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@blitzdr let me ask ya. What combo, reel, rod, etc would you consider your pride and joy?…anything stand out?

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer

Posted by: @rise

@blitzdr let me ask ya. What combo, reel, rod, etc would you consider your pride and joy?…anything stand out?

I don't have any children but I know people who do say they love all of their children the same but for different reasons.  I'll have to go with that sentiment.

My EG Spin Cobra has been with me for more than 15 years and helped put many fish in the boat. My Signature Elite USDM are reliable and practical.

My JDM Steez Harrier Shorty is sensitivity squared for jigs and plastics, my PB was caught on it.

My Steez Machinegun Cast I and Lightning are working their way onto my dependable roster.

For reels?  Certate 3000 CXH, Zillion 1000XH and Steez A II 1000XH grace my reel drawer now.  I miss my Ito 103M upgrade to 6.3:1 once in a while but I'm not sentimental about it.  Maybe I see reels as technology and rods as craftsmanship.  I just have too many head noises for my friends to deal with and I refuse to inflict it upon them! Cool  

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@blitzdr well said and it sounds like you’ve got a great “family”, there.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: