Evergreen Tactics S...

Notifications
Clear all

Evergreen Tactics Super Nova TCSC-70MG anyone?

15 Posts
3 Users
14 Reactions
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

Got one incoming for lighter 1/4-3/8 shallow to mid cranks and will also toss Beatle spin type lures and inline spinners for panfish, rock bass, spots and typical greenies and smallies as well.

I actually plan to use light braid + leader.

Anyone have any experience with this rod?

ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer

I had a Super Nova 6'6" and was not impressed.  This is going back to 2008.  I actually sold it before I paid it off.  I sold it but the tip broke during shipping.  The most accurate adjective for it:  flaccid.  You can take it from there ...

Good luck

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

Posted by: @blitzdr

I had a Super Nova 6'6" and was not impressed.  This is going back to 2008.  I actually sold it before I paid it off.  I sold it but the tip broke during shipping.  The most accurate adjective for it:  flaccid.  You can take it from there ...

Good luck

Yep, I have a feeling this is going to be a very deep loading med/ML powered top portion, with a med+ backbone in classical glass fashion, which is the reason for braid.  I just want a fun lighter tip rod for smaller baits so I don't just bully some of the smaller fish I intend to catch with the type offerings I'll be tossing on it.

ReplyQuote
BlitzDR
(@blitzdr)
Chunky Monkey Customer

Posted by: @dragon1

Good luck

Yep, I have a feeling this is going to be a very deep loading med/ML powered top portion, with a med+ backbone in classical glass fashion, which is the reason for braid.  I just want a fun lighter tip rod for smaller baits so I don't just bully some of the smaller fish I intend to catch with the type offerings I'll be tossing on it.

I know it doesn't have the sex appeal of JDM but have you looked at the Daiwa Signature Elite rods?  I think there's a light/small crank rod/topwater rod maybe Brent Ehler(?).  In my NJ salad days, I used to wade creeks and small rivers for smallmouth and largemouth with a TD1Hi or ABU 4500.  Relaxing and fun.

Good luck to you.

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

Good luck

I know it doesn't have the sex appeal of JDM but have you looked at the Daiwa Signature Elite rods?  I think there's a light/small crank rod/topwater rod maybe Brent Ehler(?).  In my NJ salad days, I used to wade creeks and small rivers for smallmouth and largemouth with a TD1Hi or ABU 4500.  Relaxing and fun.

Good luck to you.

No I haven't looked at that rod...I would actually prefer the Legit Design 6'6" L rod if I went with an available USDM rod.  I also have a killer Fenwick Tiemco Golden Wing 6'10" LP+J that Greg help me procure, but it's too fast and powerful for the techs that I intend for this Evergreen. 

I actually have a super fun Yamaga Blanks Blue Current III 82B as well, but it's way too long for fishing the tight confines of these areas.

What I really wanted, was to build a custom mag-finesse BC rod with the Lamiglas XMG50 SJ781 blank and extend to 6'9" (I have one built to 6'9" in spinning), but the blanks are long gone...so when I saw this Super Nova, I thought it might work for the small 1/8-1/4 oz cranks and poppers and hopefully up to 3/8 oz lipless like the Spro 60 sizes.

RISE and BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

Had a couple quick trips with this rod and a couple different Steez setups, both with braid + leader.  I will say that this rod loads and casts 1/8 oz inline spinners, 3/16 oz cranks, 1/4 oz poppers and up to 1/2 oz Whopper Ploppers and Pop Max all just fine.  The taper and action with braid + short leader reminds me so much of the low graphite content/composite rods from the 1980s, but the casting is much better and the tip more workable, granted definitely a bit flimsy, being glass.

Best usages upon initial on the water use - 3/16-1/2 cranks and moving baits without a large single hook (smaller diameter single hooks should be fine), and imparting popping, spitting, blooping action on 1/4-1/2 oz poppers is not an issue at all... howvever it doesn't not have the tip speed and crispness needed to accurately walk a bait, whether slower/longer walking pulls, or quick twitch/walk in place movements.

I can also share that there is plenty of backbone, closer to MH, when you lay into a hookset, as I was easily able to rip out of fresh green weeds and grass on the Stones River.

This rod also balances better with a reel in the 7 oz range vs sub 6 oz range like most MG Steez reels.  First combo was an Ian tuned Steez Limited 105 SV with 40lb YGK X8 Upgrade + 15lb Tatsu, and reel #2 was a 2019 Morethan PE SV 7.1 with Rays BFS spool with 8lb yellow Stren Sonic Braid + 15lb Defier.  I cast the heavier 3/8-/1/2 oz offerings on the Limited SV 105 spool and the 3/16-5/16 offerings on the Rays spool.

FWIW, I think this is going to be a fun combo that will allow me to "hook and hold" crappie, panfish, trout, rock bass, and still have the muscle to deal with the bigger bass.

IMG 20230720 100944088 HDR
IMG 20230719 145809927 HDR
IMG 20230719 152442677 HDR
IMG 20230719 152145645 HDR

BlitzDR and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@dragon1 that’s actually quite a sexy combo. Looks great with the Morethan on there. 👏🏻

Outstanding info as well. Sounds like it’s got a little oomph in the backbone section, which I love in a slow taper, glass or composite stick. I’m sure the quality is also top shelf. ALso…a big reason I’m such a fan of the older offerings…most manufacturers don’t make em like they used to. 

Sincerely appreciate the mini review…that’s good stuff. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

@rise 

Thanks Bruddah...and now that I had a good few hours on the water with it from my kayak, I can say confidently that this rod will be my 3/8-1/2 oz cranker.  I'm still looking for a 1/8-3/8 rod for cranks.

Also, I think a 6.3:1 works a bit better for all day cranking vs the 7.1 on the 34 mm...

And lastly...I prefer my TD-ITO on it as well.

IMG 20230724 181413348 HDR
IMG 20230724 181407064 HDR
IMG 20230724 181538258
IMG 20230724 181511056

ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@rise 

Thanks Bruddah...and now that I had a good few hours on the water with it from my kayak, I can say confidently that this rod will be my 3/8-1/2 oz cranker.  I'm still looking for a 1/8-3/8 rod for cranks.

Also, I think a 6.3:1 works a bit better for all day cranking vs the 7.1 on the 34 mm...

And lastly...I prefer my TD-ITO on it as well.

IMG 20230724 181413348 HDR
IMG 20230724 181407064 HDR
IMG 20230724 181538258
IMG 20230724 181511056

Stunning, man!…🤙🏼👏🏻👏🏻

ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

@rise 

Thanks Greg...my gear aren't showcase queens, and get daily use.  Still, I would like to pick up another minty TD-ITO someday. 😎

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Can never have too many…right? 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

FWIW,

I have discovered a really fun, neat, and excellent performing combo for 1/4 poppers like the Iovino Splash-it and Yellow Magic, etc.

Now, I have used several BC combos successfully for this tech, and I still feel that a light to ML powered mod-fast spinning with light braid is as good as it gets. I also have a Gekkabijin + Tiemco Golden Wing 6'10" LP+J with 8lb Sunline Xplasma Asegai+ 8 lb CXX leader that works very well, albeit I really have to "bow" to the fish if they jump and pull hard as this Golden Wing is a very fast and slightly stiff tip for poppers...also, I find the 1/4 oz popper casts better at a higher brake setting of 7-8 as the fast tip isn't great for loading up that tiny spool properly for accurate and consistent casts, IMO.

I have actually just sold two Gen 1 Aldebarans because I have found that my Scorpion 1000XT with flushed stock bearing under the CCC and a HH BFS air bearing on the sideplate, is just as consistent and capable for 1/4 as the Yumeya aluminum BFS spool and even the OG 2012 Aldebaran BFS XG. The real clincher for me is that I have a LOT more line capacity. I have spooled my tuned/modded Scorpion 1000XT with 40LB YGK X8 UPGRADE BRAID and 8lb CXX leader, and paired with an Evergreen Tactics Super Nova glass cranking rod. This rod is incredible and loads down to 1/8 easily, and with braid+leader is magical for popping/spitting 1/4-3/8 oz poppers. I think that 30lb YGK X8 Upgrade would be slightly better, but this line is so thin and casts so well, that I think a bit more diameter and body helps keep fluffing and overruns down, even with running one brake on!

I can't wait to get into some topwater smallies, spots, and green fish in the next few weeks as the weather and water cools, and I believe this combo is going to be a blast and work exceptionally well to keep the fish pinned on small trebles.

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewevergreensupernova.html

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Outstanding writeup, brother. I am a huge fan of the 2012 BFS XG for both its solid capacity (up to 10lb Flouro or Nylon) and capabilities. Especially  after a tuneup/flushing/ some hedgehog BFS Air bearings. Still fish and love the two I own, so I’m intrigued by you favoring the 1000XT.

I have to ask, do you still own a 2012 and why 40lb braid? If you do still own one..Have to tried some 20lb on the 2012 BFS XG? 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

@rise 

Hey brother, 

I favor my Scorpion because I have brass Brenious 7.7 gears in it, and this is important for some of the power techs I use.  I really enjoyed the 2012 Aldebaran BFS XG for the 8.0 gears and tight fit and finish and excellent performance (I did have an HH BFS air bearing in the palm plate as well), and I also really liked the higher line capacity.  The other neat design of the 2012 Aldebaran BFS XG is that the thumb bar is akin to a Daiwa design, in that it stays engaged after being depressed, in that you can re-engage the pinion by lifting up on the thumb bar and not be limited to turning thr handle.

The other factors for my favoring the Scorpion 1000XT is that the Aldebaran BFS XG has very specific gears and limited options for gear replacement without modification to the pinion gear nub, and it is also not compatible with the same aftermarket Avail and Yumeya spools that drop into the 2009 Aldebaran and the Scorpion.

In so far as 20 lb YGK X8 Upgrade, I think it would be excellent for the 2012 Aldebaran BFS XG, I was running 20lb SS 112 on mine for 1/4 oz Swimjigs and could cast down to the mono connection knot easily...but with the super thin 20lb X8 Upgrade , you should have a lot more line.  Also, as you know, both YGK lines have excellent body and control when casting and the X8 specifically is slick and extremely thin and well behaved...still I think the 30-40 is better for more mag-finesse as the 20lb gets to be a bit whispy especially with the swirling winds that are usually prevalent around waterfalls and fast moving waters, and generally in the middle Tennessee areas.

Also, this combo is super effective and fun with 1/4 - 3/8 cranks and is about perfect for DT6-DT8 type baits.

Hope this helps.

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@dragon1 outstanding explanation. My head was thinking just that…20lb on the BFS XG, coupled with the additional adjustability Shimano incorporates into the centrifugal brakes of the 2012, would probably make for outstanding capacity and control in the casting department. Just a thought. Thanks for sharing, brother. 👊🏼

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: