8 Posts
5 Users
11 Reactions
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

Which is your favorite and why?

which is the most sought after and do you the performance is worth the price used as opposed to some other current market alternatives 

ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

I’m probably going to get some hate for this, is what it is. Viola is likely the most ‘sought after’ due to a variety of reasons. If you’re after one, good luck. Build quality supreme, gorgeous, perhaps a touch smaller than most expect. I have HG68 and Speciale. Nothing against the platform, smooth, very smooth… The Speciale lives on a F5/5-70Xti Super Diablo and fits tits. The HG on an early F7-76RDti White Python and fits tits. Neither stick is remotely comparable, though each reel feels at home and that’s saying something. You won’t find better build quality or sheer beauty than these. However, the conception of them being oriented toward the finesse side of things is misplaced. In my hands anyway, so who knows, but to me the platform demands a touch of weight to perform. As such, my choice of sticks in application where both live about .75oz or better. In short, they’re not exactly the best casting reels on the planet. Again, in my hands, though I fish both mostly stock, this assuming you’re thinking half ounce or so. Just my opinion.

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquaftm
(@aquaftm)
Limit Filler Customer

Posted by: @one-love

I’m probably going to get some hate for this, is what it is. Viola is likely the most ‘sought after’ due to a variety of reasons. If you’re after one, good luck. Build quality supreme, gorgeous, perhaps a touch smaller than most expect. I have HG68 and Speciale. Nothing against the platform, smooth, very smooth… The Speciale lives on a F5/5-70Xti Super Diablo and fits tits. The HG on an early F7-76RDti White Python and fits tits. Neither stick is remotely comparable, though each reel feels at home and that’s saying something. You won’t find better build quality or sheer beauty than these. However, the conception of them being oriented toward the finesse side of things is misplaced. In my hands anyway, so who knows, but to me the platform demands a touch of weight to perform. As such, my choice of sticks in application where both live about .75oz or better. In short, they’re not exactly the best casting reels on the planet. Again, in my hands, though I fish both mostly stock, this assuming you’re thinking half ounce or so. Just my opinion.

I think the biggest take away here is that I have to get something that fits tits. 

dragon1, RISE and pkn8 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

THANKs for the response.. i greatly appreciate it .. 

dragon1, RISE and Good Times reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Viola is definitely most sought after with only 24 of each retrieve sent out into the wild. If owners are selling, you’re looking at 6000-7500.00 for brand new, collector’s-level complete sets (including originally shipping box). The others can be obtained at a fraction of that price, but they will all vary depending on scarcity and condition. 

Are they worth it?….every single penny, IMHO. Easily the best looking rounders out there, with the OG Millies and Isuzu stuff being next in line for me. I like 3/8oz and up on them, but unlike @goodtimes, I tune/mod everything I fish, with minimum being bearing swap or flush and re-lube. 

The 100xr would be the most easily acquired and reasonably priced option. Modded with a 7.2:1 brass gear swap, you’d have an amazing, versatile reel. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Polkfish1
(@polkfish1)
Limit Filler Customer

I agree with everything said above. I’ll also try to add more nuance to the question of whether they are worth it. As an enthusiast, of course. I got into these late. I was not buying them as they were coming out. When I finally did get my first, it was immediately clear what the fuss was about. Somehow, now I have four and will likely add to this group should the opportunity arise. Getting into the game late, I have still been able to get all of these in new and unused condition. The first three I bought at original retail price. The fourth, most recent one which I had to have…. Well, I paid let’s say a collectors price for that one. Anyway, if you have interest in these, I’d say look at the auction sites for a bit. See if there’s something there in new conditions that fits price wise and if not, wait until it appears. I would not suggest shelling out 600-800 on a well used and scratched up one and expect that you will get mind blowing performance at a deal price. You’re much better off investing that money into modding out one of your existing top performers or getting a modem equivalent. I’d suggest getting a new one, admiring it, and then deciding on your own if you will be the first to put scratches on it. If you do, you will find them to be ultra smooth and solid reels that are as refined as they are beautiful.

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquaftm
(@aquaftm)
Limit Filler Customer

It's good time to buy with the current exchange rate. I buy ALOT of stuff off of YJP via Buyee, especially recently. I find it as safe and reliable and have never had an issue. A couple of pointers that people might not know. They do package consolidation at no extra cost, so normally I am combining 7-10 items that I have purchased over the previous 30 days. Keep in mind, they consolidate in the origional shipping packaging, so you must be aware of bigger items. Unless it is a big ticket item, I forego the inspection and insurance, over the course of 7-10 items it saves around $20, I guess that choice depends on your risk level. I recently bought a very expensive pack rod that I was pretty certain did not come in a tube, so I opted to spend $7 on the protective packaging option. (plus insurance) They did an outstanding job and barring a forklift running it over, it was going to make it to my door just fine. 

If you are wonding about market value for an item, here is a link showing historic sales for the past 6 months. (monoblock search) It took me forever to find this a few months ago. 

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=&p=megabass+monoblock&x=0&y=0

Man, I swear I saw a NIB purple monoblock 2 or 3 years ago that went for around 2.5k. As Rise said, I believe they would fetch 6 or 7k in todays market. 

DRT's have also gone through the roof over the past couple of years. I used to see them for 1 to 1.5K. Now they average arounk 3k, with the new ALVA going for closer to 5-6k. 

When reviewing past bids, I always take the 1 bid items with a grain of salt. Many times it is someone willing to pay whatever price for an item.

Hope this helps someone. Feel free to ask me any questions as I have done some trial and error in the past. 

pkn8 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer
Topic starter  

All good information but I am looking to try one before I commit 

ReplyQuote
Share: