Monoblock brass gear upgrade

7 Posts
2 Users
6 Likes
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

I have a pretty minty and already internally tuned Monoblock Grigio Titanio...although it's smooth, I crank upwards of 1 oz spinnerbaits and 1oz Buzzjets with this reel.  Has anyone found any benefit of cranking smoothness and power by going with a brass main gear set?

ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

2B801605 EEF8 43B3 9EB1 387AAD8AEBC9

Posted by: @dragon1

I have a pretty minty and already internally tuned Monoblock Grigio Titanio...although it's smooth, I crank upwards of 1 oz spinnerbaits and 1oz Buzzjets with this reel.  Has anyone found any benefit of cranking smoothness and power by going with a brass main gear set?

Most of the blocks I fish utilize the 7.2:1 brass gears and while I can’t say I’ve noticed a big improvement in the smoothness department, I can say I’m very happy about the ability to utilize the reels for a much broader range of apps. One of my 100XRs is used for bottom contact, and I love it for that. Great thing is I can toss so many different things on a block with a higher ratio. I’ve also got a Milano that’s got the 7.2 upgrade…good stuff.

BE3AA234 E255 40C1 92D1 C9E6A1190D69

ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

Good stuff Greg...and your modded/tuned OG 100XR is a masterpiece, Bro.

I would really like to keep the gear ratio 5.8:1 for cranking power and as to not overcrank the spinnerbaits.  FWIW, I had the 7.2:1 in my I'ZE and it was fun for topwater poppers and walking baits for sure, but this Grigio is more along the lines of a traditional moving/cranking reel in my lineup.

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@dragon1 understood. Then I see no reason to change it. “Til the wheels fall off!”…as they say. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rise

Most of the blocks I fish until I’ze the 7.2:1 brass gears and while I can’t say I’ve noticed a big improvement in the smoothness department, I can say I’m very happy about the ability to utilize the reels for a much broader range of apps. One of my 100XRs is used for bottom contact, and I love it for that. Great thing is I can toss so many different things on a block with a higher ratio. I’ve also got a Milano that’s got the 7.2 upgrade…good stuff.

Greg, what spool is in your 100XR? 

ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @rise

Most of the blocks I fish until I’ze the 7.2:1 brass gears and while I can’t say I’ve noticed a big improvement in the smoothness department, I can say I’m very happy about the ability to utilize the reels for a much broader range of apps. One of my 100XRs is used for bottom contact, and I love it for that. Great thing is I can toss so many different things on a block with a higher ratio. I’ve also got a Milano that’s got the 7.2 upgrade…good stuff.

Greg, what spool is in your 100XR? 

Tuned 1010 spool…sorry I just saw this!…

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch
Topic starter  

@rise - all good bruddah.

ReplyQuote
Share: