Toray Solaroam Exthread

7 Posts
3 Users
7 Reactions
KidFishy
(@kidfishy)
Fingerling Customer
Topic starter  

Has anyone tried this new line out? I have used the Bawo Exthread for a couple of years now and have nothing but good things to say about it. I stumbled across this stuff which is described as "previously named as Bawo fluorocarbon line". I am curious if anything with the line changed before I use it as a substitute- I mainly use the 16 & 20lb if anyone has used those specifically any information would be extremely helpful. 

https://japantackle.com/toray-exthread-4901.html

xmla, RISE and Gswimbait reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

I'd love to read about it. I'm not versed in Toray, to be blunt my few experiences with the brand were less than thrilling. But I know a few, who I trust, that swear by it. Go for it, tell us what you think

Gswimbait reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

I’ll openly admit that this is one area I really fall short. Unlike baits, rods and reels…I find line that works for me, and stick with it for years without venturing outside of that “comfort zone”. 

That said, I’m intrigued and have honestly looked into Toray’s offerings a few times. Just never pulled the trigger. Can I ask what you’ve come to love about the Bawo Exthread vs other popular offerings out there?  

xmla reacted
ReplyQuote
KidFishy
(@kidfishy)
Fingerling Customer
Topic starter  

@rise I hear you on that one man- if I find a line that works I keep using it, as testing something new is just setting yourself up for heartbreak. With the way my luck goes I'll hook into my PB first cast with this new line on. I should have specified in my first post how I use said line as the issues I've read/heard about could be related to the way you use it. I use straight braid or braid to FC leader for just about every technique & most of the issues I've heard are regarding how stiff the line is. Due to the fact that I use it exclusively for leaders, I haven't had any issues with the stiffness as only a short section actually comes off my spool if at all. I mainly use 7,10,16, and 20lb for leaders and I would say the 20lb stiffness is similar to Tatsu (I haven't tried any other variations of Tatsu so I cannot speak on the rest, Seagar also doesn't offer it in 16lb). The stiffness translated to more sensitivity so I never had any issues in that department but I could see how using it straight could cause some issues. After reading the description for the Solaroam it looks like they may have addressed that issue:

"2-5lb test line have the least memory and have some hardness in line body to prevent line twist for spinning reel use. 6-11lb test lines have more abrasion resistance and tie strength by special surface treatment. It is also flexible to be used with small dia spool on bait casting reels. 12-20lb test lines have the best balance between sensitivity, flex, abrasion resistance, and shock resistance."

I have used the Bawo Exthread as well as Tatsu exclusively for the past ~3 seasons and I can't recall a time that I broke off a fish where the line was at fault & due to the fact that I mainly tie leaders the stiffness doesn't bother me in fact I find that it gives me more sensitivity. 

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

@kidfishy question; you mention Tatsu leader relative to stiffness and this confuses me. While I have a historical 'hate' relationship with fluorocarbon, I came to appreciate Tatsu casting ability. I have it currently on probably over half my assemblies, even the 20lb casts as easy as many a 12lb copoly I've used over the years. So my question is do you mean one of the Seaguar leader materials? I've not used them, though have heard they are indeed very hard.

ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

@kidfishy Appreciate the clarification and detailed breakdown. Good stuff.

I’m an all-flouro type of guy aside from when I’m flippin/pitchin heavy cover, froggin or tossing topwater, so the mentioned stiffness is the main turn-off here for me. I’m still working through some trauma created by Sunline Structure FC a few years back and if you’ve ever tried it, you know how stiff it is.

On the other side of that…the heightened sensitivity of said stiffer line makes complete sense and I can easily see why it melds well with you and how you’re using it. 

There are a good number of quality lines out there these days, so that makes it even harder to decide on which to try next…this helps make that decision a bit easier. 🤙🏼

ReplyQuote
KidFishy
(@kidfishy)
Fingerling Customer
Topic starter  

@one-love in my opinion the Bawo Exthread and Tatsu 20lb lines have similar levels of stiffness. If Tatsu 20lb worked for you I don't see Bawo Exthread being an issue as far as stiffness goes. I VERY rarely use straight fluoro so definitely take what I am saying with a grain of salt if you are a straight fluoro guy. I haven't tried any Seagar leader material so I cannot speak on that. I tried the sunline stuff years ago and wasn't a fan of the increased diameter as my leader knot would get hung in the guides.

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: