Millionaire magnet swap

11 Posts
4 Users
20 Reactions
tincanary
(@tincanary)
Dink Customer
Topic starter  

Last week I picked up a Ringa SSS (Thanks Kevin/Big-Bass!) with the intention of converting it into a creek fishing machine.  Along with that, I purchased a Roro MX30 spool and drag clicker assembly and Alphas pinion shaft.  Everything fits well but I have encountered a slight problem.  This thing is seriously over braked.  For the sake of experimentation, I swapped side plates with my Millionaire CT and lo and behold, money!  Now here is where I need a hand.  Would I be able to swap in a Millionaire CT magnet assembly into the SSS?  The parts in question are 7 and 11 in the schematic below.  I know 11 will work, but where I'm a little stuck is with part 7.  It looks a wee bit different in the schematic on the SSS, but my brain is telling me it will work due to both largely being CV-Z platforms.  What does everybody here think?

19 MILLIONAIRE CT SV 70H 00614041

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Welcome aboard. Sounds like a fun project. 

You own both reels already, correct? If so, I'd be breaking em down and swapping the parts you already have on hand to check. Should be good, but I would have to pull both of mine apart to verify. Let me know if you I can assist further and I can do so later this week. Otherwise, I'm very interested in what you find out, so report back. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Like Fisher
(@thomasjung)
Record Breaker

Posted by: @tincanary

Last week I picked up a Ringa SSS (Thanks Kevin/Big-Bass!) with the intention of converting it into a creek fishing machine.  Along with that, I purchased a Roro MX30 spool and drag clicker assembly and Alphas pinion shaft.  Everything fits well but I have encountered a slight problem.  This thing is seriously over braked.  For the sake of experimentation, I swapped side plates with my Millionaire CT and lo and behold, money!  Now here is where I need a hand.  Would I be able to swap in a Millionaire CT magnet assembly into the SSS?  The parts in question are 7 and 11 in the schematic below.  I know 11 will work, but where I'm a little stuck is with part 7.  It looks a wee bit different in the schematic on the SSS, but my brain is telling me it will work due to both largely being CV-Z platforms.  What does everybody here think?

19 MILLIONAIRE CT SV 70H 00614041

Curious to know and feel the same regarding the older CVZ 103/103L based reels in being overbraked. Let us know if you pulled your reels apart.

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
tincanary
(@tincanary)
Dink Customer
Topic starter  

@rise I did swap side plates with my CT to test.  I had custom silver spacers made not long ago as I didn't care for the orange. The side plate swap was nice and easy.  With the CT side plate/magnets, I got the full range of braking back.  Before, it was all or nothing.  Once I had the dial past 4, the spool didn't move as good as I'd hoped and really killed the distance.  For what it's worth, the SSS has a Roro MX30 spool with a fixed inductor and with that spool is where it feels over braked.  With the stock spool, the factory magnets are completely fine.  I'm building this into a creek fishing reel, as I chase a lot of trout.  This modification may work well with SV spools just going by the reel the magnets came with, but Mag Z spools may be a little too free on that end.  What led me to the swap was pure coincidence.  I just finished rebuilding the reel with the Roro and didn't like how it performed.  Then I thought "hey, let's see what it does with the CT side plate" and here we are.  Going down this path, I believe BFS conversions of non-SV reels may perform better.  Such as Tatula/Fuego CT by using Tat SV magnets.  I know when I got into BFS early on, my Fuego had that all or nothing feel and I chocked it up to it just not being a finesse reel.  On that end, I firmly believe the difference is in the magnets, not just the spool itself.

dragon1, RISE and Like Fisher reacted
ReplyQuote
tincanary
(@tincanary)
Dink Customer
Topic starter  

Bam!

PXL 20220819 220848342

dragon1, RISE and BlitzDR reacted
ReplyQuote
tincanary
(@tincanary)
Dink Customer
Topic starter  

Mag Z on the left, SV on the right.

PXL 20220820 020052556

RISE, dragon1 and Like Fisher reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Posted by: @tincanary

@rise I did swap side plates with my CT to test.  I had custom silver spacers made not long ago as I didn't care for the orange. The side plate swap was nice and easy.  With the CT side plate/magnets, I got the full range of braking back.  Before, it was all or nothing.  Once I had the dial past 4, the spool didn't move as good as I'd hoped and really killed the distance.  For what it's worth, the SSS has a Roro MX30 spool with a fixed inductor and with that spool is where it feels over braked.  With the stock spool, the factory magnets are completely fine.  I'm building this into a creek fishing reel, as I chase a lot of trout.  This modification may work well with SV spools just going by the reel the magnets came with, but Mag Z spools may be a little too free on that end.  What led me to the swap was pure coincidence.  I just finished rebuilding the reel with the Roro and didn't like how it performed.  Then I thought "hey, let's see what it does with the CT side plate" and here we are.  Going down this path, I believe BFS conversions of non-SV reels may perform better.  Such as Tatula/Fuego CT by using Tat SV magnets.  I know when I got into BFS early on, my Fuego had that all or nothing feel and I chocked it up to it just not being a finesse reel.  On that end, I firmly believe the difference is in the magnets, not just the spool itself.

Good stuff. Just gotta remember it’s the sum of all parts. Mag assembly, Gauss ratings, Inductor thickness, inductor depth, inductor position (fixed applications), spring strength, etc. The smallest changes in the overall setup can & will make big differences in performance. There are countless variables to mess with.

dragon1 and Like Fisher reacted
ReplyQuote
Like Fisher
(@thomasjung)
Record Breaker

@tincanary Very cool. Appreciate bouncing back. Going to buy some stuff now Smile

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch

Awesome work, I gotta let Kevin know the mods you made!

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
tincanary
(@tincanary)
Dink Customer
Topic starter  

Here are a few shots of the reel.  I love this thing, it's really something else, especially on a 5'1" Silver Creek Glass Progressive.  Between my initial posting of the thread and now, I've also swapped in an Alphas Ito Ai gear set to shed a little more weight.  It's a feather for a Millionaire coming in at 6.6 oz.

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Man, what an absolutely stunning setup. Bravo. What’s your favorite offering to toss on the combo? 

ReplyQuote
Share: