8 Posts
4 Users
16 Reactions
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

What are some of your favorite “subtle” tweaks when building reels? 

Mine would be contrasting knob caps/screws on certain metal/composite knobs. Such as Itö/MB finesse knobs pictured on one of my Pixzillas or as I just discovered (after a fellow member asked me), the ZPI skinny finesse and medium finesse knobs share the same caps..so more options. 

Image 8 6 21 at 12.23 AM
IMG 6320

Kickerfish1 and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer

@rise 

I could be the only one but when it comes to subtle tweaks, its the handle drag star and the worm gear cap.. I love the worm gear cap to be metal instead of plastic. It may not make a difference but to me it does. The side profile of the reel has alot to do with the handle type and lenght and 

I am s stickler for long arm drag stars since I first used one hand to turn the reel by flicking the drag star!! 

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch

Since I'm a power cranking dude...

Fatty Z2020/Ryoga knobs are on most of my power tech reels.

RISE and Kickerfish1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Kickerfish1
(@kickerfish1)
Limit Filler

I like the handle nut retainer to be the color of the reel accent color when possible. I also like the retainer screw and the handle nut to be the same color and contrast the handle nut retainer. I cant stand it when all 3 are the same color. 

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @kickerfish1

I like the handle nut retainer to be the color of the reel accent color when possible. I also like the retainer screw and the handle nut to be the same color and contrast the handle nut retainer. I cant stand it when all 3 are the same color. 

Absolutely…I’m very much the same way

dragon1 and Kickerfish1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dragon1

Since I'm a power cranking dude...

Fatty Z2020/Ryoga knobs are on most of my power tech reels.

Ah, yes…those JDM 2020 knobs FTW! 🤘🏼

dragon1 and Kickerfish1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Kickerfish1
(@kickerfish1)
Limit Filler

@ Rise - your reel builds, and reel and rod pairings are always on point. From a lure rating standpoint to the right spool to the aesthetics. 

The knobs are another interesting piece. I like the cork look RCS or Daiwa OG corks for a rod with a cork handle and either colored knob or black knobs for rods with foam handles. 

RISE and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin
Topic starter  

@kickerfish1 sincerely appreciate the kind words, brother. Good to know that the spools are also being looked at for their functionality, which is a big part of any build. I try to make sure the spool lines up with the intended application and isn’t just there because it looks pretty. Function must be just as (if not more) important as form.

You already know I’m also a big fan of your builds as well. You’ve created many masterpieces over the years. Love em. 

Knobs can be tricky, as the wrong choice can drown out/kill a build real quick, so I tend to play it safe most of the time…unless the reel will primarily be a shelf queen. 

Kickerfish1 and dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: