10 Posts
7 Users
12 Reactions
pkn8
 pkn8
(@pkn8)
Limit Filler Customer
Topic starter  

One of the lakes I fish from shore is too shallow for a basic 110 or Rerange. Hits the bottom after one jerk.

What are your go-to shallow water jerkbaits (6ft or shallower)?

Always learning...

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Polkfish1
(@polkfish1)
Limit Filler Customer

Posted by: @pkn8

One of the lakes I fish from shore is too shallow for a basic 110 or Rerange. Hits the bottom after one jerk.

What are your go-to shallow water jerkbaits (6ft or shallower)?

I fish 110s in 5 to as little as two feet in the winter. Most lakes I fish might get 8 ft in deeper holes. That’s just a pretty typical central fL lake. I won’t use a regular or steady cadence and don’t jerk as long/hard as I would in deep water (for me anything over 6 ft). Shorter, more subtle strokes. Sorry if this is sounding too much like jerking off. But, you got to play it cooler in shallow water. There’s also the possibility of spooking the fish if you jerk too aggressively in the shallows, depending on their mood. They can see the bait ‘for miles’. I’ll sometimes drop it in and let it sit for while. Then the most subtle short stroke jerk will draw one in out of nowhere. I also regularly use salt water 110 in the surf and I’m usually 5 feet and below in that water, but it’s a very different situation with the waves and undercurrent. There I jerk like a madman; sometimes as fast as I can. Sometimes in this situation it hits off the bottom, and that will trigger strikes. I don’t care much whether it happens or not in the surf. Bottom line though, if I’m fishing a 110 and targeting the shoreline, I’ll throw right onto the shore almost. As it sits in barely any water, I work it less aggressively so that it does not dig in. I’m more interested in making it look like a fleeing fish than running some type of regular cadence.

RISE, Gswimbait and pkn8 reacted
ReplyQuote
Gswimbait
(@gswimbait)
Limit Filler

Just use the 110 floaters.  They are a bit harder to find, but they work great for shallow water, I fish lakes with an Average depth of 3 feet.  Yes, that is right...3 feet.

The 110 Floater is superior to any other option out there for shallow water. 

A couple other options if you can find them is the LC Pointer 78 SR They are discontinued but sometimes you can find them on closeout. They work great for shallow water.

The Original Daiwa TD minnow also works well. 

The Damiki Slim Jack 110 is another decent option though the color choices are limited.  It gets the job done in shallow water. 

"The things you own, end up owning you." -

RISE and pkn8 reacted
ReplyQuote
Good Times
(@one-love)
Slot Fish

^^ agree with both. I throw a 110 into less than 2ft of water quite often actually. I head deeper with it from there, usually, but you get the picture. The trick is to level out a bellyflop landing. Thumb stop spool caster, or feather line stop spinner, both are quite simple with a little practice. You manage this, you can cast a 110 any distance and guarantee it sits less than 1ft on impact. I know they suspend deeper, but it's a slow drop you have plenty of time.

To make it work get your elbow up and parallel your retrieve shoulder height rather than at traditional hip. The bait will respond with a higher running depth, and you can still rip it about as hard as you dare. I don't know your line, but fluorocarbon is a big no for obvious reasons. Use a quality mono instead. And up your test diameter, the added hydro displacement forces line higher on retrieve.

110's are the only MB baits I bother to use anymore. Just my preference is all. But I fish the *^@# out of 110's and can tell you this; the 110 is a massively versatile bait. I fear no depth fishing them. From working a literally constant 2ft of water, to jigging them head down nose weighted into ranges of 15ft or so, to tail weighting them to fall backward with current into pockets. If I feel the bait profile is on, there is nothing I won't do with them.

Side note; if you intend to truly maximize these then get a variety of colors. My take is the warmer the water, faster the retrieve, brighter the color. Opposite for cold. Learn the bellyflop and load up on a variety of quality mono in different diameter. Forget what you read, forget what people think, don't worry about casting distance. You need the bait to do what you need it to do, so make it do it. Good luck.

RISE and pkn8 reacted
ReplyQuote
Polkfish1
(@polkfish1)
Limit Filler Customer

Another thing I completely forgot about. I won’t retrieve with tip down jerks while reeling in the shallow. You can move the bait effectively with a sweep to the side and even tip up sweep

RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer

Husky rap HJ10 

twitch not snap 

but I agree with those who have responded before me 

ReplyQuote
Goldrod
(@goldrod)
Slaunch Customer

balisongminnow100 gmayu used

The DEPS balisong 100 is another great lure that alot of people dont know about but is a true fish catcher. and is great for shallow water 

dragon1 and RISE reacted
ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Need to be look into it. I’m guilty of finding jerkbaits I like and not branching out too much afterwards. Thanks for the heads-up! 

ReplyQuote
RISE
 RISE
(@rise)
Double Digit Admin

Lots of quality input from everyone. Good stuff. I’ll just echo everyone, it’s not so much the lure’s primary depth range, but how it’s utilized. So many different ways to impart action/apply baits to different scenarios. Adapting is key. 

dragon1 reacted
ReplyQuote
dragon1
(@dragon1)
Slaunch

Man OG floating Rapala absolutely needs to be on this list...gonna have to pick up a fairy wand and egg beater with braid to fluoro IMO.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Share: